• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lr with USB3 HD?

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a new laptop to replace the old, it has plenty of speed/power, SSD, 16GB Ram etc. I want to keep all of my images & Lr data on it and do the edits on my laptop and desktop. Will this work? I don't want sluggish response/performance etc.

The SSD is only 512GB so I want to keep all data on the USB3 HD, I'll also have everything backed up on other USB drives as well.

Thank you

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

If you mean keeping the catalog file on the external HD (which you didn't specifically say), then you may experience some slowness in the Library Module. Other than that, I don't think you will have problems.

On Windows, the external HD should have the exact same Windows drive letter on both computers. You probably want to assign a drive letter near the end of the alphabet for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean keeping the catalog file on the external HD (which you didn't specifically say), then you may experience some slowness in the Library Module. Other than that, I don't think you will have problems.

On Windows, the external HD should have the exact same Windows drive letter on both computers. You probably want to assign a drive letter near the end of the alphabet for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that will work. Keeping the photos and catalog on an ext hdd means it can be shared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also since I'm using Lr CC any tips or anything I should know? I have not used it much but have used Lr for several yrs.

Thanks again,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very broad question. There are 30 bazillion tutorials on the Internet about Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve

The beauty of CC is that Adobe can deliver smaller enhancements on a regular basis unlike the perpetual product. Just enjoy Lightroom, Photoshop and LR Mobile on your iOS or Android devices if you mark collections for sync.

You can log-in to your webspace at this link:

https://lightroom.adobe.com/

I would recommend installing into Photoshop, the plug-in Nik Collection which is free from Google. It has some great filters. You can edit directly from LR into PS and save back to the Library.

http://99jon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/free-nik-collection.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool, thanks! I just clicked those links and saw my pics from cell phone, didn't know that. So are those images on my webspace from my mobile version on Lr or from Lr on my pc? (or both) I'll have to take a closer look when I get home on my pc and check my synch settings.

If I only want certain images from my large library do I just make a collection and sych/share that?

Thanks again,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Originals taken on the phone are synd to the desktop version.

Smaller proxies (smart previews) are sync;d the other way from desktop to phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it is very broad. I guess I was just looking for things to maybe watch out for. I'm also new to using the mobile version so synch tips are helpful as well.

Thanks and keep any tips coming please,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is a very simple program to use If you take the time to understand it. It works quite differently from Photoshop or Photoshop Elements or other image editors that you may have used. If you are quite new to using Lightroom you might want to take the time to watch a few tutorials. Here is one good resource:

Getting Started with Lightroom CC - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have actually been using Lr from for many yrs since version 3 or earlier and am very comfortable with it. I am new to Lr CC and mobile along with synching, sharing etc and need help there.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines