• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blue bar stops at 18 minutes, and I need more.

Contributor ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make a highlight video. When I Make a new composition it starts at 18 min. When I change the time to 3hrs to view the entire video it changes the time but the blue bar in the timeline (sorry don't know what it's called) stays at 18 min. and will not allow me to change the length. I just updated the program and am wondering if that has something to do with it, or am I missing something? You should also know I have 3 videos. The other 2 have blue bars that are as long as the video. Its just the first that isn't long enough

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work area? This should be possible to extend just by dragging. unless you changed it, it also should default to the full compostion duration. Should you refer to the cache indicator for the disc cache, then this is dictated by your settings though even at large values AE will never cache an entire 3 hour video. It simply doesn't make sense. If you mean something else, you need to provide a screenshot to clarify.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2 blue lines on the bottom will not stretch at all. The stretch icon appears when I put my mouse on the edge, but nothing moves.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't extend the work area beyond the comp duration. Change the comp duration first in the respective menu setting.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Comp duration is 3 hours. The video I'm trying to work on is 3hrs 8mins. That is the one that won't stretch and stays at 18 mins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are obviously not going to render this whole thing. if you want a segment of a 3 hour video to use in Ae, just click twice on the footage item in the project window, use the in and out to set the in and out point on which you want to work, now create a composition by right clicking on the footage item -> new comp from selection. you will now have a composition with just the area of the shot you need to work on.

it should be noted that it seems you are trying to work in Ae as a video editor - like premiere. it's not clear why you need After effects here and what you are trying to accomplish but bear in mind that editing a long video is this is not what it's intended for and will take you so much more time than doing this in Premiere. a wise man once said here in the forums "After Effects is for creating shots, not editing movies"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will take your advice about premiere but I'm still having this problem. The video I want to work on will not display the time that I want to work on. It will only play the first 18 minutes of the video and stops. I cannot get anymore of the video to show so I can work on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get anymore of the video to show so I can work on it.

because you are trying to stretch a 18 minute video to 3 hours... but it's 18 minutes.

see here - these black triangles tell you the start and end point of your source layers

this is the end point of the source material.

and this is another indication:

so this begs the question, why do you want to stretch this video if there isn't a video to stretch? do you want it to freeze or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, now that we've clarified the issue, you have to tell us what you're trying to do exactly. You want an 18 minute video to last three hours. Do you want it to loop? If so, there are multiple ways to do that, but one easy one is you can right click the file in the project panel and select Interpret Footage-> Main and set the video to loop like 6 times. Then you can extend it in the composition.

But as Roei said, if you are not DOING anything to the video other than looping it or changing speed, After Effects is the wrong program for the job. Premiere would make this takes fifty times easier and quicker. You're using a giant heavy rubber mallet to put a tiny pin in the wall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines