New Here ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My computer MAC/10.11.6/EL CAPITAN/

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 Mo

Pilote CUDA OK

everything was OK before with CC 2015 and now since upgrade, I can not clic on "preference" without a crash soft

If you have an idea, thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Cmd+Alt+Shift and click twice to launch the App. you will be presented with a window to reset your preferences. click OK. another way to reset your preferences is to delete of rename the preferences file that is located here:

• (Windows) \Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\[version]
  • (Mac OS) /Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/[version]

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not clic on "preference" without a crash soft

1. make sure you are using the latest 14.0.1 version. (click about after effects to be sure). if you are not, the open your CC App and update your software. if you are not seeing it yet, try relaunching CC App by typing Cmd+Alt+R

2. reset your preferences file with these instructions: Reset After Effects Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer

So I have the latest version 14.0.1.5 and unfortunely blog/adobe is not available ! I can not join blog/adobe

I try to change permissions in library but same !!

Do you know..How can I reset after effects preferences or ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cmd+Alt+Shift and click twice to launch the App. you will be presented with a window to reset your preferences. click OK. another way to reset your preferences is to delete of rename the preferences file that is located here:

• (Windows) \Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\[version]
  • (Mac OS) /Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/[version]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my godnesssss !

Thanks Roei, preferences are back !

This problem was so embarrassing and suddenly

Thanks a lot Roel (good luck w4St3d)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can't open the preference pannel in AE after renaming the old Prefs file in the roaming folder. still gives me the crash and still no sound. I will downgrade to AE 2016 again until adobe fixes this porblem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless we can confirm this is a bug, there could be nothing in adobe's end to really fix. I have not seen this issue reported as a known bug in the forums or in the support website. If you have confirmed information then please share. Other than reverting to an earlier versio, You can contact support and try to fix this through remote desktop session with a support agent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, i renamed the GENERAL Pref file, not the one I asumed first. Now I can work again. without my audio card, but at least I can continue working. So yeah, it worked, thank you very very very much Roei!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. When you fix the audio issue please share how. Remember you can have multiple Ae versions alongside In case you need to.  if you need to open a CC2017 project in CC2014-15, you will need to save a copy as CC(13) under file->save in CC2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man, renaming the 'version folder' really helped me on my mac. It's really been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. actually I think just renaming the preferences file in the folder would have been enough. so next time try it and you may keep a few settings still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Yes that's a good idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Roei,

This didn't work for me. I mean It did, but it deleted all of my Workspaces, that I had previously set up for work. Does this mean that In order to access the preferences now I have to reset-up my work space EVERY SINGLE TIME????? This is actually a huge issue for me, as I use 2 monitors for work and it takes me around 15 - 20 minuets to set up all of my Workspaces. Please let me know if there is a fix or work around this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this mean that In order to access the preferences now I have to reset-up my work space EVERY SINGLE TIME?

I am not following exactly. what is the problem exactly and what did you do exactly?

resetting you preferences: Reset After Effects Preferences  does not delete the custom workspaces you created (under window->workspace). to reset preferences you can press Ctrl+Alt+Delete as you launch the app but on windows on SSD the software loads up so quick it's hard to do this in the right timing. so you can delete this file and it will reset your preferences:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of works spaces saved for my After Effects... But unfortunately with new 2017 update everytime I access Prefernces ( for what evre reson) it crashes. You suggested to delete all saved preferances with( cmnd shift alt) BUT if I do that it also delets all of my saved workspaces... Rhats the problem. My work space gets deleted and I end up with a default work space....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. you are correct, my mistake. reset preferences does delete the custom workspaces too.

so if you reset it, you will lose the workspace but this is a one time solution. if you are experiencing crashes so often that you have to reset your preferences every time then the problem is something else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm having the same problem. I have a external audio device, and from what i've read from the last patch notes this was a common problem. I#ve installed the newest patch. then I don't have sound when playing back clips. when I want to go to the preferences AE crashes. that's a real bummer because I have a #@$t load of work to do until monday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm having the exact same problem : External audio device, no sound playing back, crash when i try to go to the préférences.
That's clearly a bug, when do we have to report them ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can report bugs here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, just wanted to give you a heads up. there was obviously no update, but all of a sudden I can hear sound when using my interface. All good now, but the fact that it corrected itself makes me wonder even more what was wrong in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apparently there is a known bug (to some people) that involves changing the audio device and crashing preferences. read about it here: Re: After Effects CC (November 2016) Bug-Fix Update Is Now Available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. It was starting to drive me slightly mad. LOL

many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

Same problem. I change my external audio all the time. I have a Bluetooth headset which I turn on and off on a daily basis.

Now After Effects doesn't seem to like this and mutes my audio pretty regularly.

Now the problem is that the preferences panel crashes instantly when i try to enter. Doesn't matter what sub-tab I try to open from the preferences. I just get an instant crash. Reseting my preferences does seem to help, but I loose my custom workspace. I don't want to re-build my workspace 2 times a day, so...

Anybody any idea how to reset preferences without losing custom workspaces?

This seems like the most simpel way to work around this bug for now.

MacOS Sierra (version 10.12.2)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

After Effects 2017.0 release (14.0.1.5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legit, worked perfect for me. many Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I recently had this issue also - believe it may've been audio hardware related. Everything was up-to-date also (CC, Win 10 and GPU drivers). I found I couldn't ever bring up the dialog box to reset preferences (by doing Ctrl+Alt+Shift whilst opening), and I didn't have any directory in "(Windows) \Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\[version]" - mine ended after \Adobe (may be due to being a work PC).

In any case, I was signed into my Adobe account in AE/CC. I opened AE, went to 'Edit', all the way down to my email address (CC account) and selected 'Clear settings'. Was then able to open and alter my preferences without crashing. Hope that helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines