• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour Difference Between Photoshop and Lightroom

Participant ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having issues with colour difference between Photoshop and LIghtroom.

The file originated as a panorama in lightroom which I then opened as a Smart Object in Photoshop. The file was too large to save as a TIF, so I saved as a PSD. This was saved back to Lightroom. However there is an obvious difference between how the image renders (and exports) in Lightroom, and how it renders (and exports) from Photoshop.

My Lightroom settings are:

Preferences > External Editing

File Format: TIFF

Color Space: Pro Photo RGB

Bit Depth: 16 bits/component

Compression: None

My Photoshop Colour Settings are:

Edit > Color Settings

RGB: Pro Photo RGB

Image > Mode > RGB Color : 16 Bits / Channel

Note: The image is toned, so it isn't greyscale.

Here is a screen cap of the images side-by side (Photoshop on the left, Lightroom on the right):

cap.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot shows that you are proofing CMYK colors in Photoshop, which could explain the different color.

Press Cmd+Y to turn the proof off (or View > Proof colors).

Does that make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks and well spotted, but unfortunately that hasn't made any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, when LR and PS don't display identical colors, it's usually caused by a defective monitor profile, but it's not so common with Macs, more so on Windows.

As a diagnostic tool, and as a possible temporary fix, try setting the monitor profile to sRGB, or Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor. I'm a Windows user myself, so I can't give you any instructions, but take a look at this article:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-...

If this fixes the problem, you should calibrate the monitor with a hardware calibrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, however, I have colour parity between all the other images I've checked. It's just this image that is problematic. That would seem to rule out a profile problem as I would expect that to effect all images.

I'll re-calibrate my display though and see if that makes any difference, but I calibrated it on Monday with a ColorMunki Display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recalibrated with the ColorMunki and the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with smart objects, may be that somehow has caused the problem.

The file was too large to save as a TIF, so I saved as a PSD

As far as I know, TIF has a maximum file size of 4 GB, which is quite a lot.

What are the pixel dimensions of the image?

Did you edit the image in PS and add layers before importing it to LR, or did you import to LR straight from the camera (or scanner)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image is big (11000 x 4000), but is made bigger by the fact it contains an additional image for focus stacking. There aren't actually any smart-objects in there now as I had to Eastertide them so I could merge them. There are also a lot of luminosity masks and adjustment layers.

I didn't import it into Lightroom. I created a panorama from several images in Lightroom and chose 'Open in Photoshop as a smart object'. This opens a PSD containing the image which is automatically added to Lightroom when the file is saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case I suggest posting in the Photoshop forum, where you might get better help.

Hopefully a moderator will see this, and move the whole thread to the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure if your problem is the same as mine but after days of searching, I found a solution that fixed my problem. I will copy and paste it below.

After running across an article (http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2018/04/lightroom-cc.html) I have come to the conclusion that the default profile for raw is now “adobe color” which for me adds a terrible looking orange tone to my photos. So… to fix this I now have to take some extra steps. I open raw files from Lightroom by right clicking the photo > Edit in > Open As smart object in Photoshop. Then, the photo will opened in Photoshop with the terrible orange tint. Now, double click on the background image to open the raw file. Change the profile to “Adobe Standard” and press “OK”. I was so frustrated with. If anyone knows how to make the profile always “adobe standard” I would be a happy camper!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines