• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos with corrected dates not importing with new dates...

Advocate ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

On OSX.

I have a bunch of photos that had the wrong create/modify dates.

I imported them, then realized, then deleted from the catalog.

Using A Better Finder Attributes app, I corrected the dates, and they show up properly.

However, when re-importing, the original incorrect dates are show.

How can I correct this?

thanks,

Andrew

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that you changed the dates in the EXIF part of the image. Your description let's me believe, that you changed the OS generated dates only.

You might find this interesting:

http://petapixel.com/2012/11/05/how-to-fix-your-timestamps-if-you-forgot-to-update-your-camera-for-d...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting - thanks.

A Better Finder Attributes is supposed to change EXIF data, and appears to.

However, viewing the photos in Lightroom, I see that the creation date is incorrect (and does not match what I see in the Mac's Finder windows.

Hmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are seeing in the Mac Finder window is the File ON Disk, IE on your hard drive/SSD, Creation and Modified dates. Not the Image Shot date. That is stored in the EXIF of the image and displayed in LR in the Metadata section.

If I shoot and image on 11/2/16 (November second two thousand sixteen) and don't import it until 11/21/16 the File Manager for my OS will show the creation date as 11/21/16 because that is the date the image FILE was created on my hard drive.

You need to stop using Finder and stick to using LR for viewing and editing your images. If you need to use Finder for File Management tasks disregard the File Creation and Modified dates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as far as stopping using Finder, it's a bit hard to to that retroactively for the past 12 years...

As noted, the app I'm using IS supposed to edit EXIF data. I will be emailing them to see if I'm either doing it wrong, or perhaps it's not working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But not for viewing or sorting images.

I am a avid Windows Explorer user. Use it many times a day. But not for browsing my images. I use LR for that. In fact I rarely ever go to the folders that hold my image files with Windows Explorer. That is why I have LR.

LR lists my images by the Capture time. That is the way I want to view them because I may use more than one camera during a shoot. A File manager lists the Files by File Name or the Date they were placed, Created, on my hard drive. That means nothing to me. I want to view them by the time and date they were shot, Capture Time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But not for viewing or sorting images."
Sorry, not sure what you're referring to...

I understand how finder / explorer works. We have 3 cameras when we travel.

"I want to view them by the time and date they were shot, Capture Time."

Me too, which is why I'm trying to successfully update the EXIF data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge OS X Finder does not have the option to sort the images by the date and time they were shot. I haven't used a Mac in several years and even when I did I never used Finder to view my image files.

In Windows Explorer there is an option to add a column for Capture Time. Called Date Taken in the column options.

turner111 wrote:

Me too, which is why I'm trying to successfully update the EXIF data.

Not sure I understand the above statement you made.

There is no need to update the EXIF data on the image files. The camera (Cameras) do that when the shot was taken. That is IF the correct date and time was set on the camera and if you are using more than one camera they are basically set the same. Same Time zone, Date, and Time to within a second of each other.

If you hadn't set the cameras correctly, syncing both of them, then yes you may need to adjust the capture time of images from one of the cameras so it is synced with the capture time from the other camera. You can do that in LR.

How to Change Capture Time in Lightroom 5 « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

However, viewing the photos in Lightroom, I see that the creation date is incorrect (and does not match what I see in the Mac's Finder windows.

The date/times shown in the Finder are different from the date/times stored in photos' EXIF metadata.   The Finder doesn't show EXIF metadata, and LR doesn't show the dates Finder shows.  Please see this post: Date Time Digitized and Date Time differ from Date Modified and Date Created | Photoshop Family Cust...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines