Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported grouping items problem

Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I'm hoping someone could help me out please, I've been pulling my hair out trying to make a small morphing graphic - around 18 hours into it now and still not an end in sight. I should also mention that I'm a newbie.. I understand there's a learning curve and have been all over youtube and google trying to find the answers but so far haven't managed!

I want to morph my logo into another image, of the nurburgring; I have edited these in photoshop and illustrator and now have a vector image of them, but when I import them into Ae there's issues with multiple groups for each, rather than a path of the outline of the images.

I want to morph this into this:

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 13.03.40.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-25 at 13.03.49.png

This is what I have when I try to get the layer paths:

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 13.04.41.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-25 at 13.04.45.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-25 at 13.05.44.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-25 at 13.05.48.png

There are 6 groups in the logo and there are 96 in the nurburgring image. I am also unsure if the images are correct as they appear to have individual layer backgrounds, which they shouldn't have as I removed the background layers before saving out the Ai files:

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 13.32.59.png

Thank you for reading, any and all help would be very much appreciated!

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

you are trying to morph an outline but you have your shape's outline as a fill and not a stroke. meaning you have many paths and that complicates things.

stroke:

fill:

if you want an outline to morph into another, you need to prepare your object's outline as paths with a stroke and not fill. the object can have a fill, just don't create your outline as two paths with a fill (like when using the blob brush to create it) but only one path with a stroke. Illustrator stroke paths will be converted to a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are trying to morph an outline but you have your shape's outline as a fill and not a stroke. meaning you have many paths and that complicates things.

stroke:

fill:

if you want an outline to morph into another, you need to prepare your object's outline as paths with a stroke and not fill. the object can have a fill, just don't create your outline as two paths with a fill (like when using the blob brush to create it) but only one path with a stroke. Illustrator stroke paths will be converted to a single path as long as you used a constant width stroke and a regular round brush. if you do that correctly then when you convert your Ai file to Shapes you will get one group with one path. see, every path gets a group when you create shapes from a vector layer.

so far for the setup. as for the actual morphing, if you are a Lynda subscriber (if you are a beginner you should consider it) for the morphing here's a good tutorial about morphing shapes: http://www.provideocoalition.com/after-effects-hidden-gems-set-first-vertex/. it's a teaser for the chapter on Lynda but it shows basically you need to have the first vertex the same for both shapes. here's a read doing morph using masks: http://www.provideocoalition.com/managing_moving_masks/ it uses the hand mask interpolation panel which is not available for shapes, but you can always copy paste path between the masks and shapes so there is a workaround.

and if all of this looks like too much work, maybe you will find our forum's guru Rick Gerard's morphing shapes in illustrator tutorial useful: Morph in Illustrator - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks. That didn't exactly fix my issue, as when I created strokes there were 6 of them, but it helped me in finding the problem. After I edited the strokes to make them join to where I was happy with the image as a single path it worked great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That didn't exactly fix my issue, as when I created strokes there were 6 of them

each illustrator path (start and end anchor points) while get it's own group upon converting to a shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines