Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default settings for lists

Guide ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I was wandering if there is a way to modify the default settings of bulleted lists.

I find the 0.25" (6.35 mm) default indent way too large.

Of course, using paragraph style is the pro way, but unfortunately, the indesign files are shared and modified by several users, who are not designers.

So they usually skip the paragraph styles and use directly the paragraph list icon.

So, basically there are two questions here really:

1- is there a way to modify the default indents of a specific document?

2- is there a way to modify the default indents of the sofware itself?

Thanks in advance

[windows 7 / INDD CS6]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi..

The simplest way is using find and replace.. find the bullets and in the change column give the indent values like below

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 3.00.02 PM.png

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used indent value zero for example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but... that doesn't answer the question really

I'm a confirmed INDD user and know how to set up indents within a doc.

What I'd like to do is changing the default settings... Maybe it's just not possible ^^

Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may not be direct answer for question but i give the possible way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps those other users should be using InCopy, not InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob

unfortunately, InCopy wasn't part of the Suite (cs6) bought by the company.

Updating to CC won't happen either...

However, suggestion is helpful, I might transfer it to IT service. I see many cases where InCopy would be useful in the workflow...

(Huh... can't find anymore CS6 products on Adobe site, but I'll keep searching...)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InCopy is $5/month with a one year commitment and includes CS6 and later versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wandering if there is a way to modify the default settings of bulleted lists.

I find the 0.25" (6.35 mm) default indent way too large.

Most application level default settings can be set by closing all documents and making the desired changes. So in the case of Bullets and Numbering, close all documents and edit Bullets and Numbering  for whatever Paragraph Style you have set as the default—if you haven't built any custom styles it would be the [Basic Paragraph] style—and restart ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob

Thanks for the answer.

Well, the trick would "sort of" work if [Basic Paragraph] is set as bulleted - what I do not want...

Besides it would not modify the default 0.25":

i.e. Try selecting a paragraph set as bulleted with custom indent, and then click twice on the bullet list icon, paragraph will be set back with default indent (0.25").

Anyways, I think my second question is irrelevant, since I won't be able to change preferences to other users. (Just like I won't be able to force them using styles )

I'm going to edit* my question and keep the main one:

is there a way to modify the 0.25" default indents within a specific document?

Thanks anyway

*Ah well... I can't edit a question...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to modify the 0.25" default indents within a specific document?

When you choose Bullets and Numbering and set the List Type to something other than None the initial Left Indent is set paragraph style's Left indent setting under Indents and Spacing. The application and every document has at least one editable paragraph style [Basic Paragraph], so the starting left indent can be set there for a document when there are no text frames or text selected. If you want the indent to be different for normal text and list text you would have to set up two different styles, but then that's the point of styles.

So:

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 8.22.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 8.22.12 AM.png

With the [Basic Paragraph] style set as above invoking a new text frame's text's Bullets and Numbering would default to this:

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 8.24.09 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the indent to be different for normal text and list text you would have to set up two different styles

Well, it has to be different: 0 for normal and x/-x for lists.

So yes, the right answer is styling. Unfortunately I can't get users to use them properly. This is why I wish I could change the default indent.

Here's the illustration of what is happening all the time... Just before typical phone call "Hey, damn graphic designer, why does my list look crappy?"

Sans-titre-1.jpg

Sans-titre-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yes, the right answer is styling. Unfortunately I can't get users to use them properly. This is why I wish I could change the default indent.

It's not going to happen—lists use the paragraph's indent setting. I would assume you will run into other problems if the user can't handle something as basic as applying a style, so Bob's InCopy suggestion is the best way to handle workflows where editors don't know how to use ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not going to happen

Right, this is what I was afraid of.

InCopy is definitely a great suggestion.

Thanks all for your time

I would assume you will run into other problems if the user can't handle something as basic as applying a style

You cannot imagine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have found going into the Bullets/Numbering settings and changing where it says:

Text After: ^t

to something else is does what we want. I choose the arrow to the right of that box and pick en dash space, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines