Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent InDesign changing fonts

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm trying to place a word document to InDesign but the fonts are acting funny. In the Word document the fonts (finnish and chinese) are perfectly correct, but in InDesign some of the chinese characters become blanks. Not everyone, but most of them. I do have same fonts in InDesign than in Word. How do I prevent InDesign from changing the fonts? Help, please!

Sisko

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Microsoft Word handles Chinese characters in a specific way. If the font used in Word does not have chinese character, it will be replaced by a font that has them (i.e. Arial Unicode, Microsoft YaHei, ...)

So, all you have to do is using a font in InDesign that contains those characters.

I suggest you use a preflight profile that would warn you in case of missing glyph.

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks! Those characters don't excactly miss from the font. I think I

made a character style, and when I replaced blanks with the style, they

appeared correctly. The chinese font (SimSun) is the same both in

InDesign and Word. The blanks appear before I do anything in InDesign,

and all I would want, is that InDesign would not change anything. (The

book has over 700 pages and has app. 130 words on each page, so using a

character style is a huge job!)

Regards,

Sisko

25.11.2016, 17.08, vinny38 kirjoitti:

>

How to prevent InDesign changing fonts

created by vinny38 <https://forums.adobe.com/people/vinny38> in

/InDesign/ - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/9160541#9160541>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to get what you want here:

The blanks appear before I do anything in InDesign, and all I would want, is that InDesign would not change anything.

because of how the Word import filter works.

(The  book has over 700 pages and has app. 130 words on each page, so using a

character style is a huge job!)

Manually applying a character style by scanning through each page looking for Chinese Hanzi glyphs and selecting 'em with the mouse would be tedious, yes. However, there are at least three different ways to apply a Chinese character style automatically.

If your content is already in InDesign, this GREP query will search for anything in your document and apply a character style. So start by making a character style called Chinese, and have it apply SimSun (or some other font that supports Chinese glyphs) in this way:

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 10.29.30 AM.png

This GREP query ~K+ finds all Hanzi glyphs. It might not catch all of your Chinese glyphs if you have any Chinese punctuation (like fullwidth parentheses or Trad quote marks or et cetera). For that, you'd need a slightly longer GREP query. Marking Finnish terms might be a bit harder, but it's still doable, depending on a number of factors - but your post seemed to be about Chinese drops, not Finnish drops.

Also, I have to agree with Vinny - if you are working on a multilingual document, you really want a preflight profile that points out missing glyphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so very much! You made my day!

Best regards,

Sisko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines