• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recurring problem being unable to select options within Paragraph Styles

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a problem that keeps cropping up with my Paragraph Styles Options window.

When I select the Basic Character Formats tab, it takes me to the Justification tab. When I select a tab, it'll take me to another one, and it's impossible to end up on the ones I need most, such as Basic Character Formats and Indents and Spacing.

I can't find any resources online that suggest that others have had this issue, and I don't have a clue how to resolve it.

I'm using Indesign CC on a Retina, 15 inch, Mid 2015 Macbook Pro.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When InDesign acts flaky, as it is for you, it is time to reset your preferences.

To reset your preferences to their default settings, follow these steps:

Quit the Application

Hold down Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Windows) or the Cmd+Opt+Shift (Mac) as you startup. On Windows, you have 1/10 of a second between these steps. On a Mac, you can hold down the keys, then launch the application.

Continue to hold down the keys until the Reset Preferences dialog appears.

In the Reset Preferences dialog, click Yes.

The file containing your preferences will be deleted, and will be recreated as you begin working.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did resetting your preferences work, a.j.wag​?

In the meantime, did you know you can move through the category list on the left with the keyboard? You can use the up and down arrows, and/or type the first letter of the desired category. For example, tap "b" for Basic Character Formats and "i" for Indents and Spacing. When you have two categories that begin with the same letter, (General and GREP Styles), just tap "g" twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I understand that this is very late, but I have a follow-up query.

Resetting my preferences did work temporarily. However, after using the paragraph styles again for a while, I am back again with the same problem I had originally.

I can always reset my preferences, but I was wondering if there was a more permanent fix as it's quite frustrating for this to occus in the middle of a work session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried emptying your InDesign Caches? I've found this very successful when I've had a Panel-related problem.

To do this on a Mac open your Home folder and with your finger on the option key go under the Finder Go menu and choose Library. Once in the Library folder open the Caches folder and then the Adobe InDesign folder. Delete the folder that says the Version of InDesign you're using. Make sure that InDesign is not open when you do this.

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 9.31.17 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines