Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi document book crashing on export in ID CC 2017

Enthusiast ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I have created a book in ID CC 2014 with a book document with 153 documents in it. The book has 420 pages overall.

This is about the 25th book I have created in InDesign for this publisher and I have not had this error before.

When I export the book to PDF or epub, it crashes 15 documents towards the end of the book. Indesign CC 2014 keeps giving the message that it has stopped working and closes the program.

I have upgraded to CC 2017 in the hopes that this will fix it, but that has crashed too.

A preflight of the book comes up with no errors.

Possible solutions are:

1. I can export the book in four parts to PDF without errors, but this is not good for doing a print version for Lightning Source.

2. It crashes on export to epub and leaves out the last 15 chapters. I could maybe do two exports and then edit the epub in DW CC. I can do enough code to try that.

3. I have found a post about ID CS6 crashing and how you need to check each document for faulty images or text and then recreate the document. Is this still the case?

InDesign CS6 crashes during PDF export |Adobe Community

If anyone can advise me on the best way to approach this I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Adobe was able to replicate the error but not give me a fix for the problem. So I had to stitch the epub together using Dreamweaver.

I set the book up in InDesign with two book documents. The first with most of the book documents in, and the second with the contents file and the book documents at the end of the book.

I then exported the book into two epubs, which I unzipped into two websites.

I had to then combine the files from both epub websites to make the one book.

An epub is a zipped up website

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closure of Indesign when I try to export a file

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please share the book with santalwa@adobe.com to investigate the issue further.

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanyam,

I am sending you the files now through our Hightail account. The email

will come from my work colleague Jill (email jilly@rangsgraphics.com)

Can you please email me (mary@rangsgraphics.com) when you have worked

out what the problem is?

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Mary Blight

Rangs Graphics & Design

9336 3738

0448 799 558

www.rangsgraphics.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I could reproduce the crash on export and we are investigating the issue. In the meanwhile, please use the following workaround - Reduce the documents in book 120 or so and export the book in pdf and epub. It should definitely wok.

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanyam

Thanks for your reply. I will try this one and see how I go.

I guess I will have to stick the epub together using Dreamweaver to make the whole book.

Thanks,

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe was able to replicate the error but not give me a fix for the problem. So I had to stitch the epub together using Dreamweaver.

I set the book up in InDesign with two book documents. The first with most of the book documents in, and the second with the contents file and the book documents at the end of the book.

I then exported the book into two epubs, which I unzipped into two websites.

I had to then combine the files from both epub websites to make the one book.

An epub is a zipped up website, and to edit it in Dreamweaver you change the .epub to .zip and then unpack the website.

It has two folders META-INF and OEBPS. All of the files you need to edit are in the OEBPS folder.

Each chapter of the book is an .xhtml file.

There are also folders for css, font and image

So you map the epub website in DW and start working on the following files:

1. I put all of the chapters from the second book into the OEBPS folder of the first book.

2. I  edited the contents .xhtml file to have links to the extra chapters at the end of the book. eg:

<p class="Quote"><a href="135_The_Face_Game_III_56_God_the_unnecessary_hypothesis.xhtml#_idTextAnchor074">56 GOD THE UNNECESSARY HYPOTHESIS</a></p>

3. I had to edit these anchor names in each .xhtml file for those extra added chapters

4. I had to add links for the extra added chapters to the toc.ncx file. (you have to add the file type .ncx into DW so that you can edit it)

5. Each chapter has its own css file. I renamed the css files for the extra chapters with a after the name and added them to the css folder. You need to update the .xhtml files for the extra chapters with the changed css file names in the <head> tag.

5. I added links to the extra chapters into the content.opf file. I also had to update the links in the added chapter .xhtml files. nb. the content.opf file will not save. You have to do a save as in DW and it will make a content.opf.htm file that you then have to change the name of in the zipped folder

The Content.opf file also links to the css files so you need to update that with the new css file names.

6. Any images from the added chapters need to be added to the image folder.

Once all these changes are done you can update the .zip folder with the added chapters, images and css files and the edited toc.ncx, contents.opf files. Also you need to add the updated files for the contents.xhtml and the added chapters .xhml files.

You then rename the .zip file to .epub and preview it in Adobe Digital Editions.

It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,

Thanks for this link, but I don't get any errors when I export the book in parts to PDF.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines