• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can someone assist me in finding templates? Do you have to purchase all of them or are there free ones?

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking to create a front/back cover of a book in a 6x9 format size. I have the template of how it should be, but it's a locked version, thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've posted in the non-technical forum Lounge.

Based on your question, can we assume you're looking to create a Book Layout with InDesign? See link below for details.

http://www.diybookformats.com/indesigntemplates/

If not  InDesign, which Adobe software product?

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hoping to create just the cover, front and back to upload into CreateSpace, part of Amazon. The book was formatted in InDesign, but the gal I'm assisting wants the cover as a different document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Nancy. I am assisting a friend who has already formatted her book using InDesign, but the software she is using to publish her book (Amazon CreateSpace) says to use a different file for the cover (front/back). So, I'm trying to find a template specifically for a 6x9 front and back cover that will include the bleed/trim/barcode, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an Amazon author, and I send my book covers as simple JPG files... create in any program you want, and export as JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Do you use CreateSource? I am only familiar with Word. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need bleed for an eBook and it's not customary to have a back cover, though you can of course.

The normal workflow is to create an ePub 3 in InDesign, validate it and then  convert that file to the mobi format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's going to be in print format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is an ePub 3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the spec for ePub 3 (for those following this!), but as you're producing a printed book, it won't concern you: EPUB 3.0 | International Digital Publishing Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek, much appreciated for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Nancy thanks so much. One question, still learning here, is there a video that shows it on a pc instead of mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the cover for a mobi file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unsure what MOBI is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking for printing? This is a good simple tutorial: http://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-secrets-video-laying-book-cover.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size of your document for the cover will be 12inches wide plus spine width plus 1/8 each side for bleed x 9 inches plus 1/8 bleed top and bottom. The spine width will depend on the number of pages of the content and the substance of the stock.

Normally you would supply the printer with a PDF using the InDesign presets selecting PDF/X-4 (unless your printer had supplied a spec),

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paperback is going to be a 6x9 size.

As I understand from CreateSpace, the following is needed

Bleed (0.125") + Back cover trim size (9) + spine width (90 pages x 0.002252 = 0.20268) + front cover trim size (9) + Bleed (0.125") = 18.45268.

Now, I've gotten this much from CreateSpace, but was looking for a template to fill in the info. The only one I found online is a pdf and I can't make changes to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign you create a new document with Print as the intent. The size of the  will be 12" (plus spine width) x 9 inches. To this you add bleed to all edges 1/8 (.125").

What does this figure in your post mean: 18.45268?

Why do you need a template, add guides for the spine and create your design in the space.

By the way, I assume your book is portrait (not landscape).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This seem a paperback in landscape orientation.

You won't find a perfect template since "spines (width)" can vary all the time (for number of pages). For the horizontal width of the document, use the printer number and add guides for the spine.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

shannonm9669191 wrote:

Looking to create a front/back cover of a book in a 6x9 format size. I have the template of how it should be, but it's a locked version, thanks.

It's locked that you can't open it? It's locked that you can't save it? It's locked that you can't work on it?

InDesign does not lock files. If it is locked at the operating system level, you can do a Save As. If the layers are locked, you can unlock them. If the items have dotted lines, they are on the master pages.

If what you have is really a template, then the extension is .indt and when you open it, it is untitled. What is the extension?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines