• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to remove the State/Province field in the Metadata Location tab?

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I would like to know if there is a way to remove or somehow untjeck the State/Province field in the Location field in Metadata.

You might wonder why I would do that... well, I'm from Denmark and we don't use these terms - only Country and City.

Maybe i could solve this if I use a localized version of Lightroom, but I prefer to use Lightroom in English.

Best wishes,

Erik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

There's nothing you can really do, because the 4 country / state / city / location is a very crude standard. Imagine where you take a picture on that big bridge to Sweden - how do you fill in those fields? What if you are in Denmark but the subject is in Sweden - what helps you most, recording where it was taken or what it shows. So while Unknown State is ugly, you can always try what I suggest, if it's useful.

Most Danes speak English better than native speakers!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You aren't forced to use it and can leave it empty, or you can use it for other aspects of your country. For example, you might use it to record islands (as I presume you can have more than one city on an island), or another idea might be to use it a binary islands or Jutland.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi john

Thank you for getting back to me and great tip!

I have almost 30.000 images in my main catalog. Many of these doesn't require a State/Province tag, and here is my main problem... I find it annoying when filtering/searching/working through my images, that the field "Unknown State" is highlighted in the Metadata Location Panel.

Does that make sense? Sorry but English is not my native language

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing you can really do, because the 4 country / state / city / location is a very crude standard. Imagine where you take a picture on that big bridge to Sweden - how do you fill in those fields? What if you are in Denmark but the subject is in Sweden - what helps you most, recording where it was taken or what it shows. So while Unknown State is ugly, you can always try what I suggest, if it's useful.

Most Danes speak English better than native speakers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Think I got it now... after that I have realized (thank you) that I can use the field the way you have suggested - it actually makes good sense to use it that way.

"Most Danes speak English better than native speakers!" That made me laugh!

Thanks,

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines