• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use LR cc on my Dell PC. I have so many issues especially importing I am ready to never use it again. The problem is I am paying for the cc package and why should I have to use another software?   Right now I am working on a composite in photoshop.  I imported the images I am working with onto my PC from a website. I then   I then imported into my catalog.  I created my compostie in PS and  I saved in tif and jpg onto my PC in the same folder as originals.   When I try to open in  Lightroom it will not find my jpg images at all.  I deleted to whole file from the catalog and thought that would help and start all over. Now it will only find my tif composite. It wont find any of my original images or the jpgs I created.  

I consistently have so many issues with LR, it wastes so much of my time!!!  Last time I imported from my card onto the pc. Then realized I wanted to import to my external from the PC.  LR wouldn't let me. It had all the images greyed out even tho I unclicked do not import duplicates. It would not let me copy to my external from the pc.

I consistently have issues. If anyone knows of a different program to use I would love to hear about it. I am constantly amazed how poorly this program runs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reading between the lines a little bit here. So if my understanding is not correct please clarify. You indicate that you are creating your composite image using Photoshop and then save a TIF and a JPEG file. Then you say that light room isn't showing the JPEG file. The way I'm understanding what you said is that it isn't showing the JPEG that you save from Photoshop. If you are saving that JPEG using the "Save as" command then the JPEG file will not be added to the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jim.  So if I save a jpg  in  "save as"  to a folder on PC shouldn't I then be able to import this image into LR next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last time I imported from my card onto the pc. Then realized I wanted to import to my external from the PC.  LR wouldn't let me. It had all the images greyed out even tho I unclicked do not import duplicates. It would not let me copy to my external from the pc.

you can move the photos to the external HD once you import them; importing a 2nd time is never a solution. To move the photos, you could drag and drop in Lightroom; or a safer method is given in this document in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location".

With regards to your other numerous difficulties with Lightroom, it's time you stopped trying to figure out how Lightroom works, and its time you stopped assuming you know how it should work, because this hasn't helped you and you obviously have misunderstandings and erroneous ideas leading down the wrong path. You need to watch or read some tutorials on how Lightroom works. You will be much happier if you do. (And if you chose to not read or watch these tutorials, well then most likely you will continue to struggle and act upon misunderstandings of how Lightroom works, not a pleasant way to operate, and I will have no sympathy for you).

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/quickstart/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have watched numerous tutorials. Problem is when I go to do simple tasks with the files it doesn't work. And I should be able to import photos to my pc and at a late dater copy them to the external harddrive. That should be a simple task in an organizer. The software should never have the final word on which images I want to re import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a simple task to move files in Lightroom to wherever you want them to go. Importing is not the tool to do this. I explain earlier that drag and drop ought to do it for you,

And if you want the final word on which photos to re-import, then you are not using Lightroom the way it is designed, and you will cause yourself numerous problems if you force Lightroom to re-import.

Problem is when I go to do simple tasks with the files it doesn't work.

As I said, you have a number of misunderstandings about how Lightroom works, and until you get past those and understand how the software works, you will struggle. Or perhaps you would be better off using some other software that works the way you want it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj.paige :    I do not want to move the files I want to copy them. If I drag the photos in LR won't that just move them?  But the main issue I was having now was LR not even seeing my jpgs files to import them into the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are confusing Importing with Copying images from one place to another. LR can move files from one folder to another and or from one drive to another but you don't use LR to Copy images from one drive/folder to another drive/folder. LR is not a File Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THank you. It is curious why in the import dialog box one can choose copy and under the copy choice it states copy photos to a new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you mean. If you're going to copy the images it seems to stand to reason that you would be copying them to a new location. For instance, if you are importing images from a camera card then you would want to copy them to a new location on one of your hard drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kohlermaui wrote:

THank you. It is curious why in the import dialog box one can choose copy and under the copy choice it states copy photos to a new location.

That is to make a Second copy as a Backup of the images during the importing of images from a memory card. That does not place that second copy of the images into the LR catalog file. When you are done importing only the drive and folder you have selected in the Destination section show up as where the images are stored. Not where you placed the second copy of them.

In fact if you already have images on your hard drive and select the Add option at the top of the import dialog that option is grayed out, you can't select it. Only while you you are copying images from a memory card to a Destination folder on your drive is that option available.

LR is Not a File Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THank you so much for the information and your time. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kohlermaui wrote:

I misspoke in my last reply.

Yes in the import dialog window if you chose Copy at the top that is to Copy images that are not already in the LR catalog to a New Location while importing them. So if you have a memory card connected you can Copy from the card to a drive/folder on your computer. If you already have image on your computers hard drive that are Not already imported into the catalog you can either Add them from where they are already located, Move them from where they are to a New location or Copy them from where they are to another location. But to do any of those things the images can't already be in the catalog.

And if you select Copy the location where they will be copied to, not their original location, will be added to the LR catalog.

But again that is only for images that are Not already in the LR catalog file.

LR is not a File Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clarifying. Since I am keeping the images on the internal and external I was hoping LR would be able to create a catalog for both. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

kohlermaui wrote:

Thank you for clarifying. Since I am keeping the images on the internal and external I was hoping LR would be able to create a catalog for both. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.

You want ONE catalog and ONE catalog Only. The whole point of LR is to have all images in one place that you can view all of them, search for any of them. Having more than one catalog is counter productive.

If you need to separate your images in some way you can do that with Keywords and or Collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't and shouldn't import images more than once. If you want a second copy of the images that are on you internal drive placed onto your external drive use the File Manager for your OS to copy them over to the external.

You don't and should use LR as a File Manager because it isn't. It is a Database program. Your Images are not IN LR. They are only referenced from where you placed them on your hard drive.

As to why the JPG images aren't being imported that could be they have the same name as images already in your catalog or there is an option in LR to treat JPGs next to RAW files as separate files (and or images). Make sure that is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines