• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a horizontal rule - in Indesign - that will export to epub

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making a reflowable epub in indesign that will be used for kindle devices. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make a horizontal rule (Just a simple <hr> that will span the width of whatever screen it viewed) in my indesign document that will export? I attached an example of what I want—and I only got that to work by placing it as an above line object.

HorizontalRuleSample.png

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Hi Kai,

The ideal situation would be to include Additional CSS using Add Style Sheet while exporting to ePub. That way you don't have to crack open it after the fact. I tried your code but it didn't work. This is what works for me assuming two paragraphs named Rule-above and Rule-below respectively:

p.Rule-above{

border-top: 1px solid red;

padding-top: 5px;

}

p.Rule-below{

border-bottom: 1px solid red;

padding-bottom: 5px;

}

This is the result:

Rule-above-below.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm interested in the answer. I think the only way to do it is with customized CSS that are defined outside of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think an HTML snippet might work? I can get a small line to appear when adding an HTML - but I can't seem to change any of it's attributes (ie width, size, align)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

two things are needed:

two paragraph styles, if this are two paragraphs! Otherwise the two paragraphs could be exported as one para and separated with a shift return.

2. Search the two styles in the css and add.

.myStyleAbove {

1px solid red;

}

.myStyleBelow {

1px solid red;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kai,

The ideal situation would be to include Additional CSS using Add Style Sheet while exporting to ePub. That way you don't have to crack open it after the fact. I tried your code but it didn't work. This is what works for me assuming two paragraphs named Rule-above and Rule-below respectively:

p.Rule-above{

border-top: 1px solid red;

padding-top: 5px;

}

p.Rule-below{

border-bottom: 1px solid red;

padding-bottom: 5px;

}

This is the result:

Rule-above-below.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, if there is no property, a value alone cannot work. Shouldn’t write something before go to bed 😉

So, Ellis code ist right! The additional padding-property is working like "textframe inset" and put the line away from the paragraph.

To the ideal situation:

Either InDesign should honor a paragraph-rule in the output or someone should write his one CSS. I would never include a second CSS-file in the document. Instead I vote for a complete own CSS and don’t use the InDesign generated CSS, cause 90% of InDesigns generated Code is either superfluous or wrong.

Kai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kai and Ellis!

You guys are awesome. HUGE time-saver - I don't like breaking open the file afterward if I don't have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that an Indesign Paragraph Style Rule will not export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is two years old. If you have a question, start a new thread. EPUB is constantly evolving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines