Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add a new ColorSpace to Lightroom

Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Lightroom 2015.6.1 on Windows.

I have followed the instructions and copied a Color profile  (CoatedFOGRA39.icc) to the C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color folder.

In an earlier version of Lightroom I could select this profile and use it for exporting images.

I do not see it in the list of profiles in the export dialog.

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong and how to fix it?

Kevin Roche

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

CMYK support for soft proofing has been temporarily removed in the latest versions of LR.

Profiles that you added before updating to 2015.6 will still be available, but new profiles will not.

The Coated Fogra 39 profile was already in my drivers/color folder when I updated to 2015.6, so I can still see it in LR.

See Lightroom 2015.6: CMYK profiles can no longer be selected for soft proofing | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you clicked the "Other" entry at the bottom of the list that comes up in the Color Space drop down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have clicked the 'Other' link and its is not appearing in that list.

Unfortunately I upgraded my machine about a year ago and so Lightroom is now running on a different machine from the one on which it used to work.

Lightroom was able export files in CMYK format at one time. I just checked my backups and found a few that I made in Lightroom CS5.1.

Per, please could you see if you can export in that colorspace. If so perhaps installing an old version and upgrading it would be the answer.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't think LR ever supported CMYK profiles for printing.  By "Lightroom CS5.1" do you mean Lightroom 5.1 or Photoshop CS5.1? 

I've searched through some old Lightroom help files going back to LR5.5, and they all contain "Lightroom does not recognize CMYK printer profiles."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm confused, but I could have sworn I did this with Lightroom 5.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you see if you can export in that colorspace

I can only export in RGB - CMYK profiles do not show up, and a quick internet search seems to confirm that it has never been possible.

However, it's possible to print to file using a CMYK profile, but the resulting image is all white - looks like a bug.

If this happens to you too, you can report it at Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Do a search first, it may already have been reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMYK support for soft proofing has been temporarily removed in the latest versions of LR.

Profiles that you added before updating to 2015.6 will still be available, but new profiles will not.

The Coated Fogra 39 profile was already in my drivers/color folder when I updated to 2015.6, so I can still see it in LR.

See Lightroom 2015.6: CMYK profiles can no longer be selected for soft proofing | Photoshop Family Custo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On re-reading your post, I see it's about exporting and not soft proofing.

I don't think Lightroom ever was able to export CMYK files - only RGB.

But if the profile was present before you updated to 2015.6, you should at least be able to soft proof with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Per Berntsen wrote:

On re-reading your post, I see it's about exporting and not soft proofing.

I don't think Lightroom ever was able to export CMYK files - only RGB.

But if the profile was present before you updated to 2015.6, you should at least be able to soft proof with it.

One could export to CMYK from Print before it was removed as you pointed out. On Mac it was buggy (never really worked despite the options to do so) Bottom line is, there's no longer any CMYK support in LR; soft proof or otherwise.

Author ā€œColor Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines