• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New InDesign to replace CS3

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For 8 years, I've been preparing a quarterly, b/w, 12-page newsletter using CS3.  Since that's no longer supported, I need to get a newer version.  But, which one?  Which version is most similar to CS3 and requires the least learning curve?  All the graphics I use are jpgs from my own files; even if I eventually put them "in the cloud" they will still be my files so I don't know how "cloud based" the software needs to be.  And, once I update, would I be able to import templates from one of my old CS3 newsletters?   I'd appreciate any suggestions!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Some things to consider:

1. If you ever used SVG export with CS3, you have to know, that SVG export is not supported with InDesign CS4 and above.

2. Getting back to CS3 is impossible once you are creating documents with InDesign CS5 and above, because CS5 and above do not support InDesign CS3's exchange format INX.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest versions of InDesign are CC2015 and CC2017. They are only available on subscription though if you only use it occasionally you can buy a monthly subscription and suspend it when you don't need it (by month only). The InDesign application is downloaded from Adobe and used on your computer in the normal way (Adobe checks online periodically that you're up-to-date with your subscription). There's nothing "cloud based" about it or your files (unless you wish to store copies of your documents externally).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply.  Do you think CC2015 and CC2017 would be better in the long run than CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. CS6 won't be updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  That seals the deal for CC2015 or CC2017.  I really appreciate your guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you subscribe to InDesign you have access to both versions. CC2015 is maybe more stable and it might be worth waiting for the incremental upgrade to CC2017 that irons out some of the bugs before installing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subscription lets you install and use any previous version from CS6 on, as well as the most recent CC2017.

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 8.48.13 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with your ID CS3?

This version still runs for me for old files without any problems.

CS3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the free 7-day trial first if you want to make sure everything works before you commit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. If you're giving up CS3 because it is unsupported, be aware (just in case you weren't) that CS6 is every bit as unsupported as CS3.

2. Be SURE you keep your original CS3 files untouched. Once opened in ANY later version, CS3 will not be able to open them ever again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Annette,

what is the OS version you plan to run your next version of inDesign?
What is your current OS version you are running InDesign CS3?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some things to consider:

1. If you ever used SVG export with CS3, you have to know, that SVG export is not supported with InDesign CS4 and above.

2. Getting back to CS3 is impossible once you are creating documents with InDesign CS5 and above, because CS5 and above do not support InDesign CS3's exchange format INX.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines