Exit

Adding Actual Lights in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've been working on creating a scene similar to this:

Captain America The Winter Soldier - Extended Opening Scene - OFFICIAL Marvel | HD - YouTube

(At the time 1:07)

I know how to create lighting in Adobe After Effects, but I am at a loss as how to create actual lights.(as seen on the ship).

Thank You!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can use this plugin to simulate flares and lights. VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professional... and of course there are ways to do this yourself in Ae, but the first will be much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to purchase that Video Copilot plugin, and I was wondering how I could do it myself. Should I just use the default Lens Flare within AE?

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I just use the default Lens Flare within AE?

why not? it looks good enough:

and here is playing with good old CC Radial Fast blur and a shape layer

light.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!

I ended up playing around with the 3 lens flares inside After Effects until I got a good result. I like your idea using a shape layer and a fast blur! It looked cool as a spotlight or searchlight, and I added a Gaussian Blur to the circle shape to make the edges of the circle less harsh.

Again, Thank You for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! glad to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines