• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to paste mask's tracked path (position?) to a new mask? (face overlay)

Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

nice to join the forums. Sorry for the confusing title.

So what I want to do is overlay the face from the picture onto the video, and have the face from the still image move the same as the face in the video is moving.

So what I tried :

In the video, I created an oval mask and I right clicked on it and selected "track mask".

The method I then chose for tracking was "position and rotation", although "face tracking" works great too.

The oval mask I created is now moving and rotating perfectly as the face in the video is moving and rotating.

However, all this data is now stored in the "mask path". How do I copy this data into the mask I created in the still image so that the mask AND the image move the same as the tracked mask from the video?

When I create an oval mask in the still image (around the face) and paste the "mask path" from the video into the still image's mask path, the mask from the still

image then changes position. That's one problem. The other problem is that I have the mask in the still image moving, but the image itself is not moving at all, making it useless for my purposes.

I hope you know what I try to achieve and what steps I took to do it (but failed ). If not, please let me know so that I can clarify with screenshots perhaps.

I would appreciate any tips to get it working!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016
However, all this data is now stored in the "mask path". How do I copy this data into the mask I created in the still image so that the mask AND the image move the same as the tracked mask from the video?

you cant. the mask tracker is for a mask and it creates mask path information and not position, rotation information you can use on another layer. not without this script anyway: MaskTracker+ - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com .

the mask tracker is mostly for adding effects to a tracked area

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you cant. the mask tracker is for a mask and it creates mask path information and not position, rotation information you can use on another layer. not without this script anyway: MaskTracker+ - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com .

the mask tracker is mostly for adding effects to a tracked area, not replacing an element. what you want to do is traditional tracking. you can use the point tracker or track in mocha. you track the shot, apply the information to a null, and then attach your replacement layer to that null. read about it here: Tracking and stabilization motion workflows in After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much!

I will try these tips! I tried point tracking too, but it's not nearly as precise as the mask tracker. Perhaps I can try doing it again or try Mocha. If I cannot get it working I will come back to this thread I will give my very best though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines