• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Lightroom automatically compress photo files?

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Lightroom automatically compress photo files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ny edited files are now a smaller size, and after I saved them, they were compressed even further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IaKnightLife wrote:

Ny edited files are now a smaller size, and after I saved them, they were compressed even further.

What do you mean "after I saved them"? There is no "Save" command in Lightroom.

Explain exactly what you did, give us lots and lots of details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example in the case of one photo, the original file is 4288 x 2848, 1 MB, and once it was edited in Lightroom it became 2048 x 4062, 469 KB. I right clicked to save it, seeing no other way to do so, and the saved file is now 320 x 228, 28.8 KB. This is the trial version of Lightroom. I saw nothing about resizing, nor did I see anything about exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking aabout the Lightroom application which you have to download to your computer, or is this the web version of Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I requested the trial version. Is there a differnence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you answer my earlier question, is this something you downloaded to your computer and installed, and then you double-click on the icon in order to use it? Or is it something you access via a web browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is all part of Lightroom 101. It probably won't make much sense to you. Lightroom does not change your master files. It doesn't change their size. It doesn't change anything about the file. Lightroom always leaves you are master files in the same condition they were in when they were imported. If you have smaller files then you must have exported copies and  the size of the export copy is in part determined by the settings in the export dialog. So the question you are asking seems to be indicating that you don't fully understand how Lightroom works because you can't just save your work in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines