• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessing clip variable within function

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can someone explain how I can access a "clip" scoped variable within a function associated with a button click

In the example code below I set a "clip" variable this.myVar = "Paul

Within a function called whatIsMyVariable - I am able to access the value  of this clip variable

However in a function associated with the button click listener I am not able to access it.

I am assuming it is some sort of scoping issue but not sure how to resolve it. I would appreciate someone explaining this.

Is it possible to access the myVar variable value within this clickTestButton function?

this.myVar = "Paul";

alert ("this.myVar = " + this.myVar);

this.whatIsMyVariable = function()

{

alert ("function this.myVar = " + this.myVar);

}

this.whatIsMyVariable();

this.clickTestButton = function()

{

alert ("this.myVar = " + this.myVar);

}

this.myTestButton.addEventListener("click", this.clickTestButton);

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

JavaScript event handlers execute in the global (window) scope. The two usual ways to address this are to put any variables you need the handler to access in the global scope as well, or use bind() to attach the event handler to a specific scope.

this.myTestButton.addEventListener("click", this.clickTestButton.bind(this));

Note that if you use bind(), and you'll need to remove the event listener later, you must save the reference returned by bind(), because it generates a unique function instance

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JavaScript event handlers execute in the global (window) scope. The two usual ways to address this are to put any variables you need the handler to access in the global scope as well, or use bind() to attach the event handler to a specific scope.

this.myTestButton.addEventListener("click", this.clickTestButton.bind(this));

Note that if you use bind(), and you'll need to remove the event listener later, you must save the reference returned by bind(), because it generates a unique function instance.

javascript - Removing event listener which was added with bind - Stack Overflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have implemented the bind solution. My next question would have been how to remove the event listener as I noticed it was firing multiple times if I revisited the keyframe where the listener is added. I have therefore created a reference so I am able to remove it. It seems to be happy to call the removeEventListener the first time too without any error.

this.clickMyButton = function()

{

// Code goes here

}

this.myButton.removeEventListener("click", this.clickListener);

this.clickListener = this.clickMyButton.bind(this)

this.myButton.addEventListener("click", this.clickListener);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The more self-documenting approach would be this:

if (!this.myButton.hasEventListener("click")) {

this.clickListener = this.clickMyButton.bind(this);

this.myButton.addEventListener("click", this.clickListener); 

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines