Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyframe (in)visibility in AE 2017 interface

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Have you noticed that in every new AE CC edition the keyframes are less and less visible in the timeline? Right now its a dull dark blue color against a dark gray background.

Tweaking the UI settings does not help much - it only affects the highlight color of the selected keyframe. Maybe I'm irrational, but don't you need to see something in the firtst place in order to select it?

What was wrong with yellow keyframes? Last time seen in AE 2014 if I remember correctly.

Is there a reason why Adobe has to stab animators in the back with this one?

The most elegant solution would be to allow you to tweak the color to your liking, just like label colors.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hell, you got me! 

Here's a question -- do you have ANY PROBLEM WHATSOEVER making out the different-colored text & icons you see on this very web site?

No?

Why?

Could it be due to the fact that the backgrounds used are white or damn-near white?

Why, oh why do artsy-fartsy interface designers feel compelled to try to reinvent the wheel?   To keep the look "fresh" while the people using it slowly go blind?

White works, for Heaven's sake!  Wise up, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll admit – the dark UI with blue elements looks cool on screenshots and presentations. But its just terrible to use, not engough contrast.  I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic Dave, but white would never work for me and I'm glad Adobe shifted to a darker gray UI. As long as it is paired with the right amount of contrast in important elements, it works for me. More control over the UI look would be even better, and most importantly - it would put and end to discussions like this 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I'm advocating a return to white and almost-white, the UI background color for AE Versions 3-12.

Did human eyeballs drastically alter themselves some time during the middle part of the decade, compelling an equally-drastic UI change?  No? 

Which is more important -- "looks cool", or "makes things more easily-visible"?  I go for option #2.

Okay, you had to make it white yourself in Version 12 Preferences, but still......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did human eyeballs drastically alter themselves some time during the middle part of the decade, compelling an equally-drastic UI change? No?

Remember that graphical user interfaces started with limitations – first monochrome displays, and then for a long time the very limited color display: 256 colors or something... Today monitors can display wide gamuts at resolutions where there is impossible to see a single pixel with an naked eye. So I understand that UI design can take advantage of this, I'm not a luddite.
If its done right, it is a step in the right direction. Dark blue keyframes on dark gray – is a step in the wrong direction, that's all I'm saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can understand the frustration but Ae has come a long way in the way the interface looks. CC2014 was the worst in my opinion (the beginning of the "blue period") and it did not offer any appearance adjustments for the indicators and controls. other then inverting dark to white. CC2017 version has actually much more clear interface wise because it uses svg icons and not pixel ones - this make things sharp and clear. I think we still can do better. as for the keyframes, I agree the default is a bit dimmed. at first I adjusted the appearance and set focus indicator to the max. then I just got used to using the default.

CC2017 - default

CC2017 - preferences->appearance with focus indicator set to the max

CC 2014 - default

CC2015-2015.3 - default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines