• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Built a PC for video editing, but still see lag

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m a relative novice when it comes to computers, but thanks in large part to a lot of YouTube videos, I was able to build a PC specifically with video editing in mind. Now that it’s put together, however, I’m still seeing a lot of lag time with rendering and editing on my timeline, not to mention importing and exporting. I’ve tried several versions of Premier Pro CC – from 2014 up to the most recent version – but the problem remains. I’m hoping someone can help me troubleshoot what’s going on, including how to optimize my hard drives for video editing.

Here are the specs of my machine:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
  • Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory 
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
  • Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card
  • Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
  • Monitor: LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 75Hz Monitor

Thank you in advance for any help!

-Ryan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers

-Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter

•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

•ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

WITH exactly what are the codec details of what you are editing?

WITH what effects are you using with the video?

WITH exactly what export settings did you use for your output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16GB of RAM is adequate though not optimal. Only two drives is again adequate though not optimal. I would note that you can see the associated forums on the Overview page ... including the Hardware forum which is the best place for this type of question.

Now ... adding RoninEdits or Bill Gehrke  into this discussion can get some additional help past John and myself.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Neil. I failed to mention that I keep all of my raw video files on a separate 80 gig external drive, which has worked fine for me in the past. I should also add that the main issue isn't with rendering or exporting speed, but with playback and editing anything on the timeline, both of which have major lag.

I run a similar 16 gb, two drives system at work, which works just fine. That system, of course, was in place prior to my arrival and not built by a novice like myself. This is why I'm having such a hard time determining the issue with my home built system, and why it's not playing nice with Premiere.

Any additional input is greatly appreciated. I'll keep scanning the forums for possible answers.

-Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Download CrystalDiskMark and test that external 80 GB disk that you have you media on and show us the results.  I would strongly suggest you get a Samsung T3 portable USB3 SSD instead of that external hard disk drive it will be 3 to 4 times faster.  That is what I am using for project and media on my laptop.  Make sure that all drives are not indexing or compressing.  How many processes are running when you play your timeline, see below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John - Thanks for the feedback. I did update all of my drivers, with no discernible change. To (try to) answer your other questions:

I'm importing mp4 files, 1920X1080, 29.97fps, exporting H.264 1280X720, 29.97fps, progressive, VBR 1 pass, target 16.00mbps, max 16mbps, aac, 320 kbps, 48khz, stereo.

Effects vary, but typically I'm using some speed variation, minor color correction, shadow/highlight, and simple titles. Nothing too fancy.

Thanks for any additional help you can provide...

-Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Hardware forum.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin. Apologies for the misplacement. - Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines