Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Muse site loading really slowly

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I've a site that up until recently was loading rather quickly; until about 3 weeks ago - and then it has slowed to a crawl.

This is a client portfolio site, and whilst it is rather graphic & plugin intensive; as I've mentioned it was working just fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

The address is www.shawnvanzyl.com

I've checked various site speed test websites, and the total size seems to vary between 3-5 MG - dependent on country (apparently); it my untutored eyes this should still be a rather quick load (as images have been optimized etc).

Does anybody have any idea what's happening here? The client is freaking out a bit.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

a) Depending on the browser, initializing the video playback may take a while. It's better in Chrome than anywhere else.

b) The connection to the Flickr gallery could be an issue. Flickr is notoriously unreliable and can cause major connection time-outs or delays at least.

c) Similar things could happen with any of the other external sources like the Twitter feed, Vimeo etc..

d) You have multiple fancy items on a single scrolling page and they all initialize scripts. You could possibly optimize thi

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the site takes 10 sec to load in my FF Australia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same here on iPad. I think, a quite appropriate time for such a content loaded site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a) Depending on the browser, initializing the video playback may take a while. It's better in Chrome than anywhere else.

b) The connection to the Flickr gallery could be an issue. Flickr is notoriously unreliable and can cause major connection time-outs or delays at least.

c) Similar things could happen with any of the other external sources like the Twitter feed, Vimeo etc..

d) You have multiple fancy items on a single scrolling page and they all initialize scripts. You could possibly optimize this by manually consolidating everything, but that's beyond Muse.

e) You use quite a bit of CSS animation, which may simply cause performance issues on some systems. This could cause things to only be drawn once the buffers have been rendered off-screen. Conversely, such stuff can generally cause extra drawing calls and refreshes.

Beyond those generics I don't see much that is unusal. It's not the fastest page in the world, but some things are inevitable if you go flashy. Again, a lot could be optimized by cleaning up the code, so you might want to hire some HTML/ CSS/ JS savvy person to do it based on your "prototype".

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines