• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

6-up name badge template with data merge: Items run off page

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an InDesign file set up to create 6-up name badges using data merge with a comma delimited file (first name, last name, organization). Margins and spacing are set up to match the template of special diecut synthetic paper on which we print the badges. When I create the merged document, regardless of whether I'm arranging by rows or columns, the next two badges after the placed six on a page run off the page as shown in the screenshots below. Previous messages on this issue dating back several years don't seem to offer a working resolution. If anyone has knowledge in this area (or could examine my files at Dropbox - Name_Badge_template_issue.zip , I'd greatly appreciate the help.  Thank you. --cg

name_badge_issue.png

name_badge_template.png

name_badge_result.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Jeffrey, sorry for the long delay in responding. We couldn't get the grouping of art within a frame to work--the output merge file only had one badge in it. (If you were able to successfully make this work, please dropbox the files.)

Ultimately we just accepted that some output badges would overflow the page margins, and so we moved the bottom margin up far enough to allow room for the overspill to position correctly (see margins highlighted in the screenshot below). This kluge worked; all name/a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded your file and opened in CC 2015. I used your specs, and did the merge, but did not have the unwanted fourth row generated, the merge came out as expected. Perhaps, there is something up with CC 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for doing that, Jeff. I only just upgraded to 2017 a few days ago while I was working on this, and the same thing happened in the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didn't scroll down far enough. My merge did in fact have the fourth unwanted row. I will look into this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Avery template number are you using? Make a frame the size of the badge, then group the art and text holder with this frame. Then position the group in the upper left hand corner. In the Merge panel, the margins will match the margins of the Avery template, and the spacing will match the gutters of the label as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeffrey, sorry for the long delay in responding. We couldn't get the grouping of art within a frame to work--the output merge file only had one badge in it. (If you were able to successfully make this work, please dropbox the files.)

Ultimately we just accepted that some output badges would overflow the page margins, and so we moved the bottom margin up far enough to allow room for the overspill to position correctly (see margins highlighted in the screenshot below). This kluge worked; all name/affiliation data in the data file ended up in a corresponding badge on the page.

badge_merge_large_bottom_margin_settings.png

badge_merge_large_bottom_margin.png

Thanks for your time and assistance on this.

--cg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines