• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to create master pages with different outside and inside margins?

Contributor ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a book on InDesign, but I would like to have a two page master page with different outside and inside margins. I want that my odd pages have some margins and even page anothers. I will print this book double-sided.

I am doing this because of the binder spiral. In the front page, it is necessary to have more space on the inside margin of the left side because of the binder spiral.

The problem is that I've created master pages but every time I set margins they are the same in both pages.

The provisory solution I did was to create two separate master pages, one different of another. It has been the solution so far and it works well.

I will explain with images... This is my document with two master pages together (what didn't work):

Image 029.png

This was my provisory solution. I created an "A - P1" master page (for front pages, because of the binder):

Image 030.png

And I also created a "B - P2" master page:

Image 031.png

I would like to put those two separate pages together, just the way they are as separate ones, with different inside and outside margins. Just that!!

Is that possible?

PS: Sorry If I commited any mistake because I am not a native speaker of English. But I hope you have understood me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Well...

just keep the "Facing Pages" checked. This is what you need.

Check it back, things should come back fine.

Edit :

also, you should keep "Allow Document Pages To Shuffle" command ON too

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to select a (master-)page in the page palette (e.g. doubleclick), then make your adjustments.

…i have the same thing happening to me: When I want to change the whole masterpage margins, i doubleclick and accidentally make the adjustments just for the page i clicked but wanted to alter both facing masterpages 🙂

Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-28 um 14.52.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-28 um 14.53.06.png

Voila:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-28 um 14.52.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I suggest you simply select your double Master-page then go Page > Margins.

If your document is set up as facing-pages, you'll see Inside and Outside margins. Set the inside margin bigger than outside.

Those settings will automatically be applied on even and odd pages. No need for new master pages.

regards

margins.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinny, I did as you said, and the result is exactly what I wanted.

However, when I am creating the document it looks like my textbox is completely out of the margin.

Why does it happen? It happened after I set the inside margin bigger than outside.

It is very difficult to type this way. It looks like wrong. I hope you can help me.

Image 031.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camila, you have to adjust your textframe on the masterpage too, unless you use "liquid layout" which scales your design elements upon changing.

But I dont have much expirience with variable layouts (maybe for different output channels), so you better off changing the textbox after you changed your margins, and any further added page should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Camila,

in addition of DBLjan's good advice, please have a look at following screenshots.

That might help you to understand how to set up your document with good practice.

1st screenshot is Master page, 2nd one is Normal page.

regards.

master.jpg

normalpage.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I thought it had worked, but it didn't work...

The problem is that is not my text frame that don't fit, but the whole page.

I mean, my text frame is adjusted, but in the master page left page is not right.

If I move and simply adjust it, I'll have the same margins as I have in the right page... Exactly what I don't want...

Sorry, but I thought I could easily solve this, but I am still trying here.   These are my master pages so far...

Image 029.png

In my Document Setup I am working with Facing Pages enabled because I need. But I noticed that when I uncheck "Facing Pages" the master page is adjusted. However, my footers are always the same, as If I had one single master page...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...

just keep the "Facing Pages" checked. This is what you need.

Check it back, things should come back fine.

Edit :

also, you should keep "Allow Document Pages To Shuffle" command ON too

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think now everything is OK.

When facing pages is not checked I can allow document pages to shuffle, so the problem is solved.

Thank you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines