• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Separate Dimensions Issues cc 2017 + standard things ?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, The ease in and out is broken when changed to separate dimensions. It's still not fixed and it's already CC 2017.

Again, isn't it quite obvious that you should be able to have separate dimensions in every vector property like Anchor point, scale 3d when you have access to tangents only in separate dimension mode ? Don't you have to fine tweak your animation in Value mode with tangents abilities?

If not, can we have the freedom to manipulate the tangent handles of value graph in combined vector mode pleaseeeeeeeee?

Just like scale property, you don't have to do separate dimension to have access to tangent handles in value mode. Why not in anchor point ? isn't it a vector property just like position and scale with x,y and z values ?

Why there is no tangent handles for position until i do separate dimension ? I didn't have to do separate dimension for scale and there is no option for separate dimension for scale too. but at least i could use tangent handles for scale xyz. why I have to do separate dimension for position xyz ?

This makes after effect's animation graph much difficult.

The speed graph is way confusing and difficult to tweak;  the value graph is 90% useless

Why does after effects has to be soooooo unique from all the animation package out there ? and soooooo much restrictions ?

Why can't it be standard like other programs like maya, 3dsmax, c4d ? because these are quite standard things right ?

Why can't we max/min 4 viewports ? top/left/front/prepective with shortcuts ?

Why there are so many camera navigation tools ? I always keep cycling through unified camera tool because that's what i use most and i forget that I m already insde that tool so i cycle through orbit,trackyxy, trackz, and finally unified camera tool ? Why can't it be standard with just Unified camera tool ? just like in all programs out there ? These software have odd camera tools which will not work for after effects ??? I just don't understand ?

Each time these softwares have new versions, they come up with big improvements, new features, like c4d have breakthrough features, maya 2017 have breakthrough features, What do you get in After effects ???? Honestly I think the only feature/benifit is improvement in speed. besides, tons of bugs, and most importantly they don't address the basic things. "The standard things".

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no financial incentive for Adobe to make fixing the basic things a high-priority goal.  Expect more of the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be you are right. They just don't care what's standard and basic needs of customers.

One more i forgot to point out, why there is no auto framing in graph editor ? or may be there is ?? im not aware of this feature which is a must actually in my thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you know what.

Everytime adobe releases new version and updates, I rush to check if this separate dimension/tangent handles feature have been added. and every time, I get what I already knew. I bet , Adobe will never have this feature in any feature version. Not in CC 2060. But I will also never stop looking for this feature, although I know they will never ever have it . They just don't care !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, isn't it quite obvious that you should be able to have separate dimensions in every vector property like Anchor point, scale 3d when you have access to tangents only in separate dimension mode ?

the anchor point property is the only one of the transform properties that doesn't have available bezier value adjustments through the value graph.

what are the big possibilities in animating the anchor point with fine tweaking bezier handles for values I wonder? if you do feel you want the ability to change value graph of anchor point, you could pickwhip it's property via expression to 3 sliders and go to town.

tell you what - here's a super quick way to do this:

use the preset "separate XYZ Position" in the effects and preset panel and apply it to your layer. now cut the expression from the position and paste it to your anchor point. DONE! (average setup time: 15 seconds for the average user). now you can create a preset yourself call it Seperate XYZ Anchor point and get this done next time in 2 seconds.

Why there is no tangent handles for position until i do separate dimension ?

that can be useful. maybe there's a good explanation for it.

I rush to check if this separate dimension/tangent handles feature have been added. and every time, I get what I already knew.

have you tried asking it here? Feature Request/Bug Report Form  in fact here's a thread where Adobe's former product manager admits that very few users asked for this feature on another property : Re: Why is it not possible to separate the dimensions of the top position in a rectangle?

the value graph is 90% useless

this is simply not true. if you can't use it 90% of the time, there is something wrong with your workflow.

I always keep cycling through unified camera tool because that's what i use most and i forget that I m already insde that tool so i cycle through orbit,trackyxy, trackz, and finally unified camera tool ? Why can't it be standard with just Unified camera tool ?

you don't have to cycle if you use your mouse. try this -

select the unified camera tool and:

left click - Orbit tool

scroll wheel click - Track Z tool

Right Click - Track XY tool

what's the big difference between this and C4D 1,2,3 + CLICK for the camera? actually come to think of it... it's easier! you only use your mouse and no additional keyboard strokes required!

Why can't we max/min 4 viewports ? top/left/front/prepective with shortcuts ?

if you mean a shortcut for toggling 1 view setup to 2, or 4 - we don't have that but you can ask for it. if you mean shortcuts for replacing views->you have those and you can even decide what to assign for some.

why there is no auto framing in graph editor ?

what do you mean by "auto framing" do you mean auto-zoom to the graph height? because you can do that. each of these icons at the bottoms has information about it when you hover over it

c4d have breakthrough features, maya 2017 have breakthrough features, What do you get in After effects ?

here is what you get - you get an unmatched top of the line software for motion graphics that is used for award winning studios all over the world and an industry standard composition software from the low budget average joe to J.J Abrams and star wars. a software that is so versatile it's mind blowing what you can do with it. here you go: What is After Effects?.

not that it's a pissing contest (because these software can and should work together) but I think that if you would check how many users use any of these software, Ae's numbers would be staggering in comparison and this is evident example that many users find it useful.

final words if I may speak freely (this is a community after all):

it looks to me you have got some training to do. Dave's rant's aren't an example for anything - he is just tired and gave up and would join in on anybody saying anything negative about the software while most of the time disregarding facts. but you... maybe you are still young (I hope) so train yourself, Ae has probably got the best supporting community and resource material online than any other software. go do amazing stuff and if you feel you can help make this software greater then submit a feature request and make it better for all of us. don't be a hater.

this is my 2 shekels on the matter, no offence, take it or leave it.t

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 animating an anchor point is useful for paning and zooming still images to give camera movement feel i guess.

and i'm sure there can be few more practical uses of that otherwise why do u need stopwatch beside anchor point ?

2. value graph is useless for me 90% because I use anchor point to refine my animations. And since there are no anchor points, now i hope that make sense.

3. about camera tools, i think it's little misunderstood. I also use unified camera tool and i don't use other camera tool. Infact i don't want other camera tools. but they are all bound to same hot key "C". so if i want to navigate, i hit c for unified tool. so when ever i want to navigate i hit c. but i forget i am already in unified camera tool and still i hit c which leads to cycle through all the unnessary camera tools. wish there were separate shotcut for unified tool.

4. aobut breakthrough features, i still don'tthink ae is giving great features. you can take an example of element 3d. I don't want to push this topic far, because i love after effects like i love maya,max,c4d. There is no doubt ae is the best . but I want more. i guess it's like like having great expectations from adobe and not getting that so kind of sad.

5. about auto framing the graph, i know ther eis a shortcut, but why doesn't ae do it automatically when i select an animated property ??? or does it ? there is simply no significanse to see empty graph because you click on a property and u want to seee the graph. but the graph is way up / way down / way left or right ? at least you can show the graph. but why empty ?

btw, yes i'm still learning ae. I learn new stuffs everytime i do research .

i've been learning since ae 3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#correction :
5. about auto framing the graph, i know ther eis a BUTTON(no shortcut), but why doesn't ae do it automatically when i select an animated property ??? or does it ? there is simply no significanse to see empty graph because you click on a property and u want to seee the graph. but the graph is way up / way down / way left or right ? at least you can show the graph. but why empty ?

also no possible to bind a shortcut. i already checkedit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 animating an anchor point is useful for paning and zooming still images to give camera movement feel i guess.

and i'm sure there can be few more practical uses of that otherwise why do u need stopwatch beside anchor point ?

make the layer 3D and have much more control with just the position property. just one property, no anchor point + scale. practical uses and keyframing - yes, occasionaly,  bezier handles for value graph - not so much. so you don't need value graph that much or do you?

2. value graph is useless for me 90% because I use anchor point to refine my animations. And since there are no anchor points, now i hope that make sense.

I still don't see how and why? are we still talking about panning an image realistically? if you absolutily have to refine anchor point, the preset I showed you will be handy for you but more in almost 15 years of doing this and seeing others do it, never seen a user mess with anchor point this much. maybe you could show exactly how you do it and maybe there is a much more efficient way to work because you can rest assure that if other users would find value graph that useless like you do, the software would change to accommodate the users.

3. about camera tools, i think it's little misunderstood. I also use unified camera tool and i don't use other camera tool. Infact i don't want other camera tools. but they are all bound to same hot key "C". so if i want to navigate, i hit c for unified tool. so when ever i want to navigate i hit c. but i forget i am already in unified camera tool and still i hit c which leads to cycle through all the unnessary camera tools. wish there were separate shotcut for unified tool.

I see. yes that happens. maybe other users don't like to keep things pressed all the time to activate it. if you have a better idea than submit it.

but I want more. i guess it's like like having great expectations from adobe and not getting that so kind of sad.

submit your ideas. Ae's has had a great change in 2015 where the whole engine was rewritten basically. this took many resources. the top most priority for most of the users was performance and this was a very big problem when CC2015 came out. only in this version many the Mac users are getting their playback problems sorted out.

5. about auto framing the graph, i know ther eis a shortcut, but why doesn't ae do it automatically when i select an animated property ??? or does it ? there is simply no significanse to see empty graph because you click on a property and u want to seee the graph. but the graph is way up / way down / way left or right ? at least you can show the graph. but why empty ?

explain exactly what you want to happen because auto-zoom is a switch and it will stay on for every property even in your next project until you switch it off. if you are using Ae from 3.1 you should know it's not that intuitive. read up all there is to read and you will get all the information you need: Animation basics in Adobe After

Effects

now seen your edit - when you click a property that has keyframes you will auto zoom to it and won't have to see way up or down. share a screenshots if you are having problems with this.

also no possible to bind a shortcut. i already checkedit

not sure what you mean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yup there is not doubt, i still don't know many things. I used from 3.1 but doen't mean i am the master. I still don't know so many things, infact some basic stuffs too. I just came to know that i can zoom around in timeline with alt and middle click . may be this will help.

Thanks for all ur help. I'll try to read as much as i can

I'm little busy working. gott a deadline today. i'll get back to this post later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines