• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you align time on a colon using tabs within a table

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to set up tabs within the cell of a table in order to align times by their colon? I've attached an image. Right now I have the times centered, but I think it would be easier to read if the times were aligned by the colons. Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 2.19.49 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Actually, there's no need to enter tabs at the beginning of each line. Just define tabs in ParaStyle (Use Barb's or Jane's suggestion) and apply that style to the cells with timing:

align.PNG

Note the columns in the last cell are not aligned because there is no ParaEnd mark after 10:30-.

Insert it - and columns will align (because PStyle is applied). No need for actual tabs!

Edit: Argh, I mean colon, not column...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Add a decimal tab stop and change Align On to a colon.

InDesign CCss_037.png

But you do need a leading tab in front of the times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is too genius! I love simple solutions to a complex questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way is to use tabs. I hope someone else has another way using GREP.

Align to a decimal tab

Align on: to a colon

Press tab character at start of each line (hard or soft return)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, there's no need to enter tabs at the beginning of each line. Just define tabs in ParaStyle (Use Barb's or Jane's suggestion) and apply that style to the cells with timing:

align.PNG

Note the columns in the last cell are not aligned because there is no ParaEnd mark after 10:30-.

Insert it - and columns will align (because PStyle is applied). No need for actual tabs!

Edit: Argh, I mean colon, not column...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone who answered my question. I'm feeling kind of silly after realizing how easy that was. All suggestions work well.

I actually have never been comfortable with Paragraph styles, so I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to figure it out, but the screen shots were very helpful. Thank you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never feel silly, Amber—this is not as well known as you might think.

And I forgot that you don't need the tab itself, although I was doing it in Word years before InDesign was born!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We love to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines