• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Retrieve Dimensions of Resized Image?

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a mock-up of a layout I made in InDesign using low res image files, and I would like to make my final images in PS, but have them sized as they are (in print dimensions) in Indesign. I don't see any right-click property type menu items that show the resized size? How do I quickly get this information?

If that's not clear, here is an example: I took an image and dragged it into my A4-size INDD. I scaled it down to fit part of a page. How do I quickly get the new print size of that image relative to the A4 page (without using rulers, which would be imprecise and tedious)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

One more thing:

If you select your image with the Selection tool, the Control panel tells you the frame is 100%. (who cares?)

Double-click the image and your cursor will now be a hand. Now look at your Control panel. These four numbers are now about the image, not the frame. I changed my measurements a couple of times because I work in picas, and you work in metrics. Is this what you are looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your image did not show, but have you looked in the Links panel?

Let me know if this is what you are looking for or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Looks the effective PPI is the number that reflects the resizing. I would have hoped for a simple readout of the size in mm (or whatever default unit) relative to the size of the page, but I guess I can use a calculator for each of my zillion images .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default, you have

PPI                    150

Effective PPI     341

Dimensions       885x1330

Scale                 44%

Easy way in Photoshop is to scale it to 44% (in this case).

If you want more info and / or if you want it to show up above the line, go to Panel Options from the Links panel menu:

And you can copy the Link Info, also using the menu:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing:

If you select your image with the Selection tool, the Control panel tells you the frame is 100%. (who cares?)

Double-click the image and your cursor will now be a hand. Now look at your Control panel. These four numbers are now about the image, not the frame. I changed my measurements a couple of times because I work in picas, and you work in metrics. Is this what you are looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! Thank you so much! That's the number I wanted. I was digging around in submenus and didn't think to just look up . I only use InDesign a couple of times a year when designing a book, so sometimes the easy stuff leaks out of my head in between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, I use it all the time, and look how many answers I tossed out before I gave you the one you wanted!

I'm glad you have the info you need now.

Best,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines