Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixing Rule in Indesign

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Is there any way to fix the rule adjustment in indesign paragraph stye rule option if the text increase or decrease automatically.

Right now i am working manually given the tab character and apply one character style for this. See below screenshot for reference.

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 2.20.11 PM.png

Thanks for looking this.

Kasi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Not sure I understood well what you want to achieve, but let's have a try.

Ok now, on your screenshot, I see you have used two different methods for "Learning objectives" and "Key Ideas".

In the first case, looks like you have used paragraph rules, with a manually fixed offset. Not a good method, because the offset is fixed and won't adjust of you modify the length of your text.

For "Keys ideas", looks like you used tab leaders, which is a far better option. Now, if you modify text, stroke will adjust. Isn't it what you want? What's not working for you here?

Tip: you may use GREP style in order not to apply manually your character style onto your tab. Use ~y Grep query to catch right indent tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply vinny, my need is when i apply the paragraph style the rule length should be adjusted based on the contents without any manual works (no other character style).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in that case, you can use tab leaders, just like you did for "keys idea":

1- create a character style with wanted settings (i.e. color) > lets call it "TAB"

2- create a paragraph style for your header and apply settings:

• tabs: set a new tab (any value) and fill tab leader option with an underscore
  • GREP style : apply "TAB" character style to ~y (right indent tab)

3- that's it: Type your text, insert right indent tab at the end of it and apply paragraph style.

It should do the job

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i know that way and also we can do it using the nested style option if we insert the tab character manually. But my concern is there any way without inserting the tab character?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I understand better your request.

You could use a GREP find/replace to add the right indent tab after the last character:

search .$

replace $0~y

(this is very basic, it could be improved)

Or, you could use a trick, not very orthodox but would work (assuming you have a one-color background, i.e. white):

combine both paragraph rules and character underlining.

1- create your paragraph style with a rule under, column length

2- set up a new nested style on your phrase that would apply a character style. This char. style will be set up with underline same color than your background. It will be placed over the paragraph rule.

tricky...

hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, we can find and replace the tags using the paragraph style also. i am asking any tricky option to use for this while applying style.

I already tried your tricky method, but it's not working here, you can look the screen shot closely, we have the background image on this page. If we use the white or paper colour, that image also hiding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry,

I have no solution for that.

Consider scripting if you want to automate.

But I guess that would take much more time than inserting tabs manually or by find/replace GREP query.

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as your text stays at a single line, this can be done easily and defined as part of a Paragraph Style that adjusts without any manual intervention.

Start with a yellow Rule Above at the point size and offset you want. Set it for Column Width. I have made mine cyan so you can see it better.

Rule 1.png

Now create a Rule Below at the same point size. Set it to Paper color. (I've made mine magenta so you can see it better.) Set the offset so it moves down to knockout the yellow rule. Then set this Rule  Below to the Text width but set the Right Indent to a negative value that is the same amount as that space after the text.

Rule 2.png

EDIT: Ooops! Just saw you have that background image. Let me see what I can do. But I doubt I can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes sandee, we tried this method also, we have images on background, on this case image also hiding using this option, look at the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I can't do it without paper color. If automation is important, you might consider deleting that bkg image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use an underline with a nested style rather than paragraph rules? Like this where I have the text followed by a tab and a right indent tab (Shift-tab):

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 12.03.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you would need to span the columns to match your screen capture:

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 12.20.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for comment!

Capture d’écran 2016-11-28 à 21.19.14.png

Capture d’écran 2016-11-28 à 23.07.21.png

Capture d’écran 2016-11-28 à 23.07.38.png

… With a para rule!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't help anyone if you only show but don't explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text frame is set with transparency "Multiply".

So, the white rule below text kinda "disappear". But of course, it affects all non-black elements with transparency effect.

I thought about suggesting this solution, but I found it way too "brutal" ^^

But jedis don't care about being brutal sometimes...

Still thinking that inserting right indent tab is the easiest way, even if it doesn't answer the request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vinny38,

Thanks for the explanation!

But the para rule below on the column is not white but in color and I use a nested line style on all the para associated to a white underlining that covers the para rule on the last line! …

I've another one!

No underlining, no transparency, no tab, no space at the end of the para and really only one para rule below!

But the op will need … one click… So, not automatic!

See you soon, return to work! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just brutal, but setting text like that should be made against the law!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a tab to the end of the paragraph with a tab stop at the right edge of the text frame. Use a custom underline on the tab. Make this a Character Style (its only attribute is the Underline) and apply it using  Nested Styles.

Edit: Rob Day beat me to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: Rob Day beat me to it.

I hadn't read #4, the OP wants the rule to be automatic so there's no need to key in extra tabs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you consider that 2 simple spaces forgotten at the para end is … acceptable and make "part of the para", so, yes!, it's totally doable!

Capture d’écran 2016-11-29 à 23.34.02.png

Capture d’écran 2016-11-29 à 23.34.32.png

… With no tab, no transparency, no para rule, no nested line! … In fact, nearly nothing, as two spaces! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, nearly nothing!

It won't help the OP much if you don't explain how you are automating the rule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… and funny: using the same para style, just change the color of the stroke … adding simple spaces! 

Finally, Spaces are very useful!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Just Grep!

Capture d’écran 2016-11-30 à 00.06.28.png

Capture d’écran 2016-11-30 à 00.07.34.png

Capture d’écran 2016-11-30 à 00.07.44.png

Capture d’écran 2016-11-30 à 00.08.31.png

That's all! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tabs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Spaces

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines