• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Mac Mini running Light Room

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if anyone uses a Mac MIni for lightroom . I would like to purchase a new mini with the  2.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor, and 8-16 GB of memory, and 256 ssd for $900. Any advice would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work fine. The current Mac mini crop hasn't been updated for a while though and so it is somewhat underpowered for current standards. You should generally get at least 16 gigs for Lightroom use and 256 Gb is a very small hard disk so you will quickly need an external disk for any serious digital photography work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao, thank's for the reply. I was mainly concerned with the dual-core processor, most of what I have read sates that a quad core is the minimum you would want for photoshop or lightroom, Do you think the i7 is a worth wile upgrade for $300? As far as the HD, I will be using external HD.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually there is a strange problem when you have more than 4 cores where Lightroom can become really slow. People with big Xeon machines are having real issues. So it actually is more like 4 cores max. But an i7 would be a good idea. It really depends on what kind of raw files you're going to be running through it. If you have at most 20 MP or so it won't make a really big difference. But if you have 35 MP files or more it will be very noticeable. Also a good gpu makes a big difference if you run LR CC 2015/6. However you can't upgrade this on the mini I believe.

If you run an external hard disk, a 256 GB internal is very doable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I ask you about i7 vs 15, now I am using a D200 which has 10mp, I am waiting for a replacement for the  D810 which as of this date has 36mp, so I guess I am better off spending the extra $300 for the i7 because that is a big raw file compared to my d200.  Thank you for your expertise in this matter. I have to look at the numbers, I might be better off with and imac.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah probably a good bet. By the time you add a good screen, keyboard and mouse, you might end up over the price of an iMac or a MacBook Pro. The D200 files are not going to be very taxing on the low-end system but D810 files definitely need a beefy machine and enough memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines