• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying stroke to multicoloured text...

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I'm trying to apply a single colour stroke to multicoloured type within a text frame in Indesign CC. The issue seems to be that when you have multiple colours of text within the same frame, Indesign seems to treat the two colours as different 'layers' and applies the stroke overlapped (Example shown).

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 08.55.33.png

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm not after a workaround, my whole point is I'm trying to avoid having to create extra text frames or outlining text.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange but interesting..

Try to give positive tracking to space between fre(e) and adu...

It is temporary fix..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying but this does not not really fix the issue. Increasing the tracking will effect the appearance of the typesetting, I definitely do not want that.

Thanks again though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO, you hardly can do anything here. It's a 'feature'. Stroke isn't relevant here. Next word in a frame is always 'above' the previous:

nextwordabove.png

... the same about 'next line':

nextlineabove.png

It's the way ID text engine works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi winterm,

Thanks for your response. This is along the lines of what I suspected but I was hoping, as the text frame treats text as a single colour as a 'compound object', that there was a way for it to treat multicoloured text the same.

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 10.25.50.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-30 at 10.26.15.png

It would be good if InDesign could treat all text (multicoloured or not) within a text frame as a 'Compound object' (as it does with single colour text).

If anyone has any further ideas or an answer please let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe The Master of All ID Cheaters Obi-wan will chime in... He has The Force...

I won't be surprised if he will show us some amazing screenshots but (the Dark Side) won't explain technique itself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He sounds mysterious, I hope to hear from this Obi-Wan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI..

I tried with effects and works well.. try

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 4.15.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, and the hires-output is acceptable…isnt it? But sadly not as smooth as a vectore 😕 But a practical solution.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-30 um 11.48.41.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-30 um 11.51.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-30 um 11.51.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tpk1982,

Thanks again for giving this a go. This is ok for a quick fix in some cases but you don't have the stroke editing options for precise work (join's, capping, stroke alignment etc.).

I really appreciate your time on this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 😕

Got discredited by slow moderating. Every post I do gets moderated, i mean, what the duck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DBLjan,

Thanks to you too! Still not a suitable solution unfortunately. I'm not after a workaround for this issue, I'm trying to improve workflow in future.

If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

in the meanwhile I'll chime in 🙂

(Edit: someone else did.)

Use the effects panel and not the stroke weight.

EffectUsed.png

I hope, you can figure out the right values from my German UI…

Regards,
Uwe

Edit: Came too late. Was interrupted by a phone call…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Next idea. This time using a stroke.
A sandwich method. Same text. Different formatting stacked on each other:

1-TwoTextFramesStacked.png

2-TwoTextFramesStacked.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate all of your input on this. Most people are suggesting using the 'Outer Glow' effect. It creates a similar look but this is not a solution (it's just a quick fix), it's not accurate enough, it's not good for rendering and you lose all stroke editing options.

Please can people not suggest this method anymore. The real issue is 'why is multi coloured within a text frame treated as separate layers (effectively) and is there any way around this?' - If you can help on this specific issue please let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then please Inform this as BUG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laubender,

I appreciate your efforts but I am not looking for a 'workaround' or 'quick fix' (I'm quite experienced using CC so all the quick fixes are a bit obvious to me - sorry), I'm trying to find out how to resolve the issue permanently.

Thank you for trying though. If you have more thoughts please let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brainwash Design wrote:

… I'm trying to find out how to resolve the issue permanently.

I don't think there is a solution with just one single text frame…

By scripting one could synchronize the position of two text frames with an event listening mechanism.

And for synchronizing the contents while having different formatting, well we have two options:

1. Scripting

2. Text variables using a Running Header

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a text variable "Running Header" solution see this IDML file here:

Dropbox - FacingTheFacts-CS6.idml

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender wrote:

I don't think there is a solution with just one single text frame…

Quod erat disputandum.

Magister dixit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! Well said! winterm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will offer some feedback to adobe, it looks like it's down to the text engine. It's a shame that multicoloured text can't behave like single colour text at the moment.

I anyone finds the solution please let us know, I'll do the same if I do

Thanks again for trying everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried too with text2path or applying different graphic adding methods, but it doesnt work.

I think the solution from Uwe is practical. You could script that: Copy selected object, get behind, set stroke.

Or as a permanent solution: A start-up script, which, upon open and some event handlers in between, checks for ...lets say scripting labels in objects, and execute that funcion on every text with that flag set. The white duplicate behind's ID could be housed in the front-text scripting label. Upon change, the startup-script builds all ≠ instances, kills the duplicate, and generates a new stroke-duplicate with the altered text.

But this screams for someone, who is expirienced in writing addons/plugins, if its that meaningful to your workflow.

Im in the boat with InDesign behaving odd here and there and why Adobe doesnt take action (FitFrame2content with rotated images, or layerCompositions not in DOM), but even if its in there for years, you have no right to demand anything, sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DBLjan,

Thanks for trying, still not what I'm after though. We need to get to the bottom of why Indesign treats multicoloured text in the same text frame as different 'layers' (see wintern's reply). Again, I'm looking for a working solution that increases workflow and leaves editable text. The 'Outer Glow' method is not right (no stroke editing options etc.) The 'two layer' method is impractical as you can't then edit the text easily without having to change both objects.

I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful, I'm just trying to find the actual solution not work-arounds or quick-fixes.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to kick some ideas around the two layer solution:

…how about text variables?

…i never used it, but hasnt InD a option for instances of the same text?

…make use of illustrater-objects, working with layers/layercompositions?

Obviously Adobe wont change their whole text engine like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines