• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to alternate Text Color in a table style for indesign cs6?

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

I made this table in illustrator as i was making some different layout designs... I was wonder if there was a way that I could alternate the text color in a table style? I will have about 200 tables in this catalog that i will be making, so i need to set something up so that I can quickly make a table and edit the tables if need be.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set up paragraph styles for the white and yellow text, you can use Apply Style, then Next Style to style the text before turning it into a table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i wouldn't be setting this up in the table styles window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because it has to happen before creating the table. The styles are applied to the plain text, and then it is converted to a table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also for automating the alternating style application with object styles see #6 here:

Re: Copying TAB style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a plug-in? im not sure what im looking at here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a plug-in? im not sure what im looking at here.

The capture in my link is of the InDesign Object Style Options, which is available from the Object Styles flyout menu. ID lets you style text frames as objects, and the feature I'm showing lets you alternate paragraph styles within the text frame.

It should be possible to convert an existing table like the one you are showing to text run the alternating p styles via an Object style then convert back to a table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Will the tables be already done when you'll begin the job?

If yes, just build them with only "White" cell/para styles and, with 1 click, do the "Yellow" changes.

Not sure you really need to apply new cell/para styles!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use tabs, not tables. There is nothing there that requires a table. Use the Next Style attribute of your Paragraph Styles to alternate colours. You can then apply the Header (or whatever) style to the top row by selecting all the text and going to Apply "[Style]" then Next Style by right-clicking on the header style in the Paragraph Styles panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Woodwing SmartStyles can help. But this is not free plugin.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines