• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not all Keywords showing in LR CC

Contributor ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice in a posting made a number of years ago that Windows precludes all the keywords showing in LR 4. Is this still an issue in Win10 and CC?

Here is a screen print showing my keyword list not showing much past the mid point of the "P's" in both the Metadata Filter and the Keywords list.

If the issue still applies, is there a solution? I gather using Hierarchial Keywords will help, but that is a lot of work to  do with the keywords (assuming I can figure out how to change them to hierarchial) (And other than switching to a MAC ☺☺☺)

Thanks

Jim Robertson

LR keywords query.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

This bug, first reported over five years ago, is still present in LR: Lightroom on Windows chokes on large keyword lists | Photoshop Family Customer Community . I think we can safely conclude that it's very unlikely to be fixed.

The problem is that LR on Windows chokes when there are more than about 3270 keywords displayed in Keyword List window. The only workaround is to introduce a hierarchy and keep most of the hierarchy collapsed.

It's tedious but straightforward to introduce a hierarchy.  For

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug, first reported over five years ago, is still present in LR: Lightroom on Windows chokes on large keyword lists | Photoshop Family Customer Community . I think we can safely conclude that it's very unlikely to be fixed.

The problem is that LR on Windows chokes when there are more than about 3270 keywords displayed in Keyword List window. The only workaround is to introduce a hierarchy and keep most of the hierarchy collapsed.

It's tedious but straightforward to introduce a hierarchy.  For example, you might introduce top-level keywords "A - D", "E - H", etc.  Then select all the keywords starting with A and drag them to "A -D".  Repeat for the other letters.

If you don't want the top-level keywords included in exported pics, right-click each in the Keyword List, select Edit Keyword Tag, and uncheck the options Include On Export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, for a quick reply and an answer. (Not an answer I like, but that is not your fault )

I didn't realize I had so many keywords, but when I think about it I can see why I have used so many.

I'll go investigate/test using the hierarchical method.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, another question as I try to resolve the keywords not showing....

I have set up a keyword, not to show on export, and moved about 100 existing keywords into it. Had a few issues, but it is done.

However when I look at the keyword list on the right side of the screen, with the new keyword "closed", I see further down the list, however in the LIBRARY FILTER I still can't see further down as the keywords that were moved into the Hierarchy are still showing and the new keyword does not show.

Any thoughts ??

Also - when I try to move a keyword with 763 uses into the new keyword, it won't move. (The ones I did move had 1 to 3 uses)

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Keyword issue screen 1.jpgKeyword issue screen 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!

1.     For Metadata keywords, someone mention setting for Hierarchical - that solved that problem

2.      The Keyword with 763 uses which would not add itself to an new (Hierarchical) last night no matter what I tried, was quite to do it this morning !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Metadata keywords, someone mention setting for Hierarchical - that solved that problem

That's correct.  A number of the panels in Windows LR have the same limit on total number of items displayed (though the actual limit may be different for each panel).  I've always been moderately surprised that a professional program would fail so gracelessly in that situation.  Modern Windows programs just don't have those kind of limits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has anyone ever wondered how many total hours they have spent searching for solutions for Adobe problems?  Whether its bugs, or installation problems, or simply poorly designed applications, the number of hours spent searching for a solution instead of simply using the application is absolutely maddening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines