• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Importing 'Formatted Tables' from Excel

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi since recently moving over to CC i cannot seem to place formatted tables from Excel into Indesign. I have to go back to using CS6 for this part of my project which is causing work flow problems. Does anyone know of any issues with placing an excel file into Indesign CC. No matter what settings i use in the place options i always get the same result, an unformatted table.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's up? CTRL+D not works? Or you forget where in CTRL+K checkbox to paste all formatting?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey George. Yes this is when placing the excel file into the indd.

None of the setting work in CC. I have been trouble shooting with CS6 and its all working as it should.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give this a try but its not the answer to why certain functionalities do not work in CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dariushh

When placing your Excel table have you clicked on the Options button to show the import choices?

Select 'Show Import Options' when placing the .xlsx file, click 'Open'

Then you will have the option to select 'Formatted Table' from the drop down menu beside 'Formatting' You also have the option to choose which Sheet or Cell Range from the table you are placing.

Click Ok and you should have a formatted table.

import options clicked.png

formatted table.png

Viewing the page in 'Normal' Screen mode allows you to see the table cells

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 12.31.49.png

however viewing it in 'Preview' mode hides the cell edges and it looks like tabbed text.

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 12.37.23.png

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alma, thanks for this. Yes this is what we have been doing. We have had this as our workflow here for the past 5 years. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Do you haver any idea why it always pulls in an 'Unformatted Table' ?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dariushh

I'm not sure what you mean by you thought that was pretty obvious so can't help you there.

By default, in InDesign CC 2017 Excel tables will be imported as formatted tables. I'm not sure why this isn't the case for you. In previous versions of InDesign (CS4) Unformatted Table was the default setting but not sure what is happening with your document. 

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines