• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sketch Features: Free vs. Creative Cloud Users

Participant ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Creative Cloud account. I was going use Adobe Sketch to introduce some middle school art students to digital art. Since most of them aren't likely  have a Creative Cloud account, will a free Adobe account be enough for them to have  the features of the app?

I tried logging into into a free Adobe account on my wife's iPad, and Sketch doesn't seem to have any of the sharing features that I have on my iPad with the CC account. Does that mean the kiddos won't be able to share or export heir pictures anywhere when they are done?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Hi SFG,

Nope, you don't have a hobbled version of the app. There's only one version of Sketch and that function is still in it; the icon to import a photo was eliminated a couple of updates ago and the online tutorials haven't caught up.  Here's how to place a photo in your Adobe Sketch artwork:

1. When you open a new Sketch artboard, you'll see a Draw Layer opposite the toolset.

2. Tap the + just above it to open a pop-up menu with the choices Drawing Layer and Image Layer.

3. Tap Image Layer

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MK,

The only export options that your students won't have access to is the ability to send their work in the desktop apps. They'll still be able to save their work to the camera roll, or to export it as a .psd. or .pdf.

If you're not seeing those options in your wife's account, you may be tapping on the wrong Share icon. There are two. One in the project view. And one when the document is open. It sounds like you just haven't gotten to the second one yet.

Open your document (as if you're going to make changes to it).

Tap on that Share icon (square with an arrow) in the top nav.

Let me know if that's what's going on or if it's something else.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a teacher, I had prepared an old workflow for students who do not have the CreativeCloud membership.

Now that Adobe Sketch offers more options to save/export, I need to update it.

I suggest that you could have your students:

• Save their mobile creations to their (free) CreativeCloud accounts as Photoshop (.psd). 
  • From the school computers, they can access http://assets.adobe.com and download their creations. 
  • They can continue to work on those projects in class using the school's Adobe Photoshop licenses. 
  • Encourage students to build an Adobe Behance (behance.net) website so you can moderate / show their work at the end of the semester or school year.  It's a great way for parents to see their children's artistic progress too!

HTH

Ko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar question... I just downloaded Adobe Photoshop Sketch 4.0.2. I have a free CC account but don't subscribe to CC apps. I'd like to import a reference photo but I don't have photo icon I see in the tutorials. Can't seem to find this problem online... any ideas? do I have a hobbled version because I'm not using cc products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SFG,

Nope, you don't have a hobbled version of the app. There's only one version of Sketch and that function is still in it; the icon to import a photo was eliminated a couple of updates ago and the online tutorials haven't caught up.  Here's how to place a photo in your Adobe Sketch artwork:

1. When you open a new Sketch artboard, you'll see a Draw Layer opposite the toolset.

2. Tap the + just above it to open a pop-up menu with the choices Drawing Layer and Image Layer.

3. Tap Image Layer

4. Then choose from where you'd like to import the image (On my iPad, Take a Photo, My CC Files, From Market, From [Adobe] Stock, Paste Image).

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sue, that did it! I assumed the plus icon simply created a new layer and that's all. I really appreciate your answer, it was driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome SFG.

I'm happy to help anytime.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue!

Is Adobe going to continue to support the Sketch app for the foreseeable future? I saw some instructional videos for the app, but it looks like a handful of changes have been made since the 2014 videos were made.

The classes went over really well with the students, most of whom were drawing digitally for the first time! (One kid left the class saying she was going to use the app every day.) I wound up making a video for them where I go over a number of the basic features, but if there are newer videos to demonstrate the app, I will direct them to the vids.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI MK,

Yes. Sketch is super popular (as is Draw) and I can't envision us not continuing to develop it. Regarding tutorial content... Online videos really haven't yet caught up to the changes that were introduced at MAX (at the beginning of Novemer), so I suspect that whatever you've created to direct your students is as current as anything available online.

What might be worth your time is to do a Google search for "Make It on Mobile." It's a fairly recent internal campaign (https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/discover-what-eight-artists-created-using-adobe-mobile-apps/) that focuses on what artists are doing with our mobile apps and so the work you find will be artists working with the most recent versions of our mobile apps. The projects are not always based on drawing but you'll be able to easily sort through those that aren't.

I'm happy to answer any more questions, but does that help? A little?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does help! But since the video I made is on the up-to-date version of Sketch, that means the kids will have to listen to my voice. Which no one should have to do.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MK.

I feel your pain.  

Sue.

PS... I'm sending you an email to the addy that's associated with your forum profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MK!

Here's an idea for curriculum:

Use the Adobe Spark Page (https://spark.adobe.com/) app either mobile or desktop to create an overview of the elements you want your students to examine/experiment with.  This can be a simple "how to" page, or lesson-based.

You can always update the Spark Page with new materials/ideas/lesson plans as the apps evolve.

Spark allows you to embed links to previous/old video tutorials for foundational material. If you upload your videos to Youtube, you can link to those individually.

Here's a public Spark Page I made in association with a 'walking history' class I held for my students: POETRY / SOCIOLOGY / PHOTOGRAPHY

Walking with poets: An Adobe Spark Page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines