Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC Problem

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi people

I am experiencing a big problem at the moment with Table of Contents on 76 page document. The document was redesigned from a previous version of this job using the same paragraph styles but revised to suit the new (document version). When I go to create a new TOC the hole Text disappears and yet the preflight shows no Errors.

I can copy text from this document into a new document and I can create a new TOC no problems. Can this problem be fixed without having to recreate the document as this would be quite time consuming.

Iam using InDesign 2017 and OS Sierra 10.12.1

Is there anyone out there with any advice please.

thanks

AngelosTOC problems.jpeg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document may be corrupted. Try saving as an IDML (File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or later (IDML)). Reopen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Steve, I did reply to you earlier but didn’t Add Reply to my comments so they were not posted. See what we did as a solution above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at it in Story Editor view to see if the text is still there.

Display hidden characters.Look for a break character.

See if a style has a break assigned.

Is your TOC going into its own frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane we did go through a lot of troubleshooting and the Adobe technician brought it down to a corrupt file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it solved yet, then?

Steve's suggestion of saving to idml usually works.

It could be a font or something on one page, such as an image. So sometimes copying the pages to a new document works. Do half, if that fails, do half of that, and so on. Use the pages panel menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we’ve ended up doing was: created a new document with the same specs as the original and did a Move Pages (the entire document into the new one) and the TOC worked fine and there was no further problems at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines