Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Error! check activation" message

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. computer is already authorized.

2. Adobe Digital Editions prompted to update, however, the updates would not install.

3, received "Error! check activation" message in response to attempts to open Adobe Digital Editions.

4. uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Digital Editions to current version 4.5.1.139278.

5, previously downloaded .acsm files eBooks were populated onto new install along with authorization information.

6. same error message received "Error! check activation", however now in response to attempts to open .acsm files eBooks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows:

Close all applications.

Choose Start > Run.

In the Open text box, type regedit and then press Enter. The Registry Editor opens.

In the left pane of the Registry Editor, locate the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept

Select the Adept key.

Choose File > Export.

In the Export Registry File dialog box, select Selected Branch under Export Range. Enter a name and location for the backup registry key, and then click Save.

Right-click the Adept key and choose Delete.

In the Confirm Key Delete dialog, click OK.

Close the Registry Editor.

Open Adobe Digital Editions and reauthorize.

Macintosh:

quit Adobe Digital Editions.

Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash.

If you are using 10.7, see https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had also problems with ADE. I got the same message. I couldn´t unauthorize ADE. But with Your advice  ADE works again. Thank you very much!

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 10. I followed your instructions until File>Export. There was no Export Registry File dialog box!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Windows 10 skip this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this problem and came to this forum after uninstalling and reinstalling an updated version of the program (from 2.0 to 4.5).  Your instructions worked perfectly in Windows 10.  I then opened ADE, went to Help/Authorize Computer, entered my Adobe ID and password , and was good to go.  Thank you!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nanaky​ - Thank you thank you thank you! Your instructions were PERFECT for Windows 7 Professional.  I'd been having trouble with my older version of Adobe Digital Editions so I installed the newest version and had even MORE trouble!  I got the "Check Activation!" error repeatedly, just like the OP did in this thread.  I found your reply today and copied/pasted the info into Word so I could follow it closely while in the Registry. AND IT WORKED!  Bravo to you!  I appreciate the time you took to explain the complete process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is fine that it work on your device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my ADE authorized with anonymous id and i purchased an ebook. I want to save my authorization information and use it to another computer. Actually i didnt know ...why adobe ID registration is important.Please help me. what should i do? can i export Adept registry file and install another pc. will it work?What exactly should i do? Plz help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soo much Nanaky!!

This worked perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly. Thank you for the clear and easy to follow instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome instructions!! I am a computer idiot and was able to do what you instructed. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me until I deleted all references to ADE withing the Registry File. I then uninstalled ADE and reinstalled and re authorised my computer and it work a treat. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it worked.

Now if only we could get Kobo and ADE 4.5 to work to gether reliably, we'd be in business (like many, I had to downgrade to 3.0 in order to be able to copy library books from authorised ADE to authorised Kobo without "anauthorised" message when trying to read the book on the Kobo). It really is strange that they have been unable to figure it out in two years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you also.  Registry key fix worked on my "check activation" error after I installed version 4.5.2 of ADE after I started getting #2038 error message on my old version 1.7.2 ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the very same sequence of issues as ElPachuco...happily, the instructions suggested by Nanasky at the top of this thread worked for me, too. With a Windows 10 operating system by the way. Very thankful to Nanaky for posting it.

Have to admit being very hesitant to get into the Registry, but the instructions Nanasky posed were perfect. One clarification for old, barely computer-literate people like me...each line in the Registry is a "key". Below each key can be one or more other keys.

I worried that this step in Nanaky's instructions: "In the Export Registry File dialog box, select Selected Branch under Export Range. Enter a name and location for the backup registry key, and then click Save." was a 'just in case' things get worse thing...why worried?--because the instructions didn't say what to do with the saved backup registry key. I could guess it would be a File Import, but am not disappointed I didn't have to find out!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The import only need if the steps not work. If work you can remove the export file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know why the top of this post says "This question is not answered"??  After downloading the new version of ADE and following Nanaky's instructions, I am finally back in business.  I'm thinking that the "new and improved" Overdrive does not play nicely with the "old" ADE, so following all of the above and additionally uninstalling the old ADE certainly worked for me,

Thank you, Nanaky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above did NOT work for me but below is what did.

Success!!!!!

None of the prior steps helped me at all.  However, what I just did that worked was to delete ALL versions of ADE on my computer and reinstall version 4.0. 

I had updated from v3.0 to v4.5.2 to deal with the ASCM files type but got in the same endless loop of failure to authorize or failure to connect to authentication server, both errors (falsely) suggesting I was not connect to the internet.

The registry editing, DE-authorizing/re-authorizing, shutting down windows firewall/Norton antivirus etc. just cycled me through these error messages without solving the problem. 

I don't even know when v4.0 was downloaded or if it was automatic at some point, but by uninstalling v3.0 and v4.5 and selectively installing v4.0 everything worked the way it should.

I must say I found the chat people with whom you connect when you click the Help tab in ADE was worthless (actually worse than worthless since the snarkily pointed out it was free if necessary software and therefor not supported) and the Forum articles simply cycled me through useless and sometimes scary (deactivating all my PC's security features) steps without resolving the problem.

V4.0 works as it should.   Now I just have to figure out how to assure it will not auto-update and put me back in server failure hell.

Hope this helps others.  Good Luck out there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution was posted by someone else and worked for me:

Close all applications.

Choose Start > Run.

In the Open text box, type regedit and then press Enter. The Registry Editor opens.

In the left pane of the Registry Editor, locate the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept

Select the Adept key.

Choose File > Export.

In the Export Registry File dialog box, select Selected Branch under Export Range. Enter a name and location for the backup registry key, and then click Save.

Right-click the Adept key and choose Delete.

In the Confirm Key Delete dialog, click OK.

Close the Registry Editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, 

I have Windows 10 and I've tried to delete key file but I can't delete autoritation in Adobe Digital Editions yet, and I can't open my new ebooks.

Maybe is something about the time or date of my pc, and my phone but I don't know.

Someone can help me?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines