Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set up Lightroom CC

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm new to Creative Cloud and I'm trying to setup a trial version before I pay but there are NO instructions anywhere on how to do this (plenty on install problems or using LR which I don't need).  I have a desktop and laptop and need to work on both.  I don't have any apples.

I clicked on the free trial and downloaded/updated my current LR6 standalone and Photoshop CS4 so I have the CC control window.  I'm now trying to set up LR and can't find answers to the following questions which are pretty fundamental to using LRCC:

- where do I save the catalogue?  On the desktop or laptop or both?

- where do I save the physical RAW files?  On the desktop or laptop or both?

- when I try and create a collection why don't I have the option to sync with Lightroom mobile?  I have a message in LR that the mobile trial has ended, but I've just started a CC trial.  ?

- do I copy or move the RAW files to the CC cloud folder?  Is this like Dropbox?

- if I've copied RAW files stored on my desktop to the CC cloud folder do I still need them on the laptop?

- are the LR adjustments saved in the CC cloud folder separately from the RAW files or saved back to the file on my desktop?  What about if I save RAW files on the laptop too?

I can't even begin to post process a RAW file until these setup items are dealt with but there are no setup 101 guides anywhere on the web or Adobe site and I've spent four hours downloading and searching for this vital information so any help would be great!

thanks

Lulu

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC is not needed if all you want to do is use the catalog on both desktop and laptop. Lightroom 6 can do this.

Lightroom CC (and specifically Lightroom Mobile) is needed if you want to access your photos via Android or iOS device.

- where do I save the catalogue?  On the desktop or laptop or both?

- where do I save the physical RAW files?  On the desktop or laptop or both?

The easiest thing to do is to put the catalog AND photos on an external HD and move the external HD from one computer to another.

I think the other questions about Lightroom Mobile and using the Cloud are irrelevant, if I understand your problem properly. If I am not understanding it properly, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj_paige

Thanks for replying.  I had been managing with LR6 and storing the catalogue on my Dropbox actually (despite what they say) but I need to update photoshop so going with CC is the only way.  I'm not putting stuff on an external drive.  I've bought computers with large hard drives and can cope with keeping them mirrored and they work as my backups as well.

I'm just really frustrated about the lack of information on something so vital.  There's lots of help and troubleshooting about 'chapter 1 - installation' and 'chapter 3 - using LR' but nothing about 'chapter 2 - setup'.  This is supposed to be a version that can be used on more than on computer but a simple thing like where to save a catalogue is totally missed.

Any more gems of knowledge?  ;O)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is supposed to be a version that can be used on more than on computer but a simple thing like where to save a catalogue is totally missed.

This aspect of Lightroom CC — being used on more than one computer — is not different than LR 6. You are allowed to install and activate Lightroom CC on two of your own computers, as long as they are not in use simultaneously.

So, Lightroom CC does not give you any benefits for this task above LR 6. I understand that you need LR CC because you want Photoshop CC, but other than that, you have not gained anything as Lightroom Mobile is not going to help you in this task because as I said, Lightroom Mobile allows you to access and edit your photos via an Android or iOS device.

If you are doing this via Dropbox now, and you understand the risks (do you?), then that remains the solution with Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom is designed as a single-user, single-computer software package. When wanting to share the LR system on multiple computers, you need to jump through some hoops to trick LR into doing that.

The easiest way (not prettiest way) to share your catalog and images between multiple computers is to put the LR catalog and the images on an external drive and move that drive from computer to computer as needed.

If you are not willing to use an external drive, then you need to manually sync all the files from the old computer to the new computer before you use LR on the new computer. Some people get Dropbox or the like to work OK for this process. Others use a network drive to transfer the files from computer to computer. When you are done using the files on computer_A, you then need to manually sync the files back to computer_B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines