• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is the most basic thing like a Free transform tool?

Enthusiast ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I was considering upgrading from imovie to creative cloud, but I cannot find a Free transform in AE. What is going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016
Hello I was considering upgrading from imovie to creative cloud

that would be an upgrade for sure

but I cannot find a Free transform in AE. What is going on?

if you want to transform your layer you have the transform properties: scale, rotation, position would be considered an option to transform your layer. scrub the values to your heart's content

you can also do this manually in the composition window by dragging the layer's handles manually. W is a shortcut for Rotation.

001.gif

if you control on each cor

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is going on?

You haven't read the help and thus don't understand how AE works. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's really what it comes down to. So by all means, read the help, watch tutorials.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I was considering upgrading from imovie to creative cloud

that would be an upgrade for sure

but I cannot find a Free transform in AE. What is going on?

if you want to transform your layer you have the transform properties: scale, rotation, position would be considered an option to transform your layer. scrub the values to your heart's content

you can also do this manually in the composition window by dragging the layer's handles manually. W is a shortcut for Rotation.

001.gif

if you control on each corner separately, you can apply and effect: corner pin is one option:

005.gif

there are also other ways to distort layers...

and please do some tutorials: After Effects tutorials. Ae is not that intuitive. it's often compared here to flying and F-16, while Premiere is compared to driving a car with you mom sitting by your side, which probably makes imovie like driving a push around buggy.

Step2  Push Around Buggy (Red)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I was trying to scale a path, images scale normally.

But.... you can't even drag images in from finder in a MAC.. have to go through import dialogue, seems buggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't even drag images in from finder in a MAC

this should work. what are you dragging? show a screenshot of the process or a video capture.

Thanks, I was trying to scale a path, images scale normally.

if it's a path Ctrl+T should work for you if the path is selected. that or clicking twice on any vertex on the path or the path itself

the right one is a mask, the left is a shape.

001.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx it works now, maybe I hadn't created a new project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei, You're awesome, man!

You've been most helpful. Unlike this Mylenium dude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that Mylenium dude has been helping me through most of my Ae life.  so guess you're at the end of this food chain . he does have a point - learning Ae requires practice and for a beginner it is essential. we can't walk-through the basics of this software through posts because it's ineffective. some questions have simple answers though. you need to get training otherwise you will be coming back here a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well thanks guys, I went a bought a year CC subscription today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went a bought a year CC subscription today!

where's my commission, Adobe? just brought in a paying costumer!

nikos, now off to the tutorial page and don't come back until you know what easy ease means

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very true but it's must easier to just help someone with a specific problem than give them an invalid answer. That's what the forum is for. Getting answers for your specific questions. Thats all I'm saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And yes AE requires basic knowledge but, sometimes all it takes is a helping hand in a specific area. An expert can make the simplest of mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines