Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit text composition in After Effects

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I downloaded a template from Videoblocks which is a typography template, You can see it here After Effects CS4 Template: Sports Promo Typography - VideoBlocks

When I open it up in After Effects, I expected it to be editable text to change the words, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I can't figure out how you're supposed to change the text but still keep the effects?

If you double click on each text composition, it comes up with the camera effects and the background colour, but not a way to edit the text on screen. I can't seem to find a way of doing this anywhere.

Can anyone explain to me how you do this? Sorry, I'm quite new to After Effects.

Here are some screenshots to show what I mean. Thanks

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

you should follow the instructions provided with this template if there are any. maybe they are attached as a readable format with the zip file or something. if you paid money for this then the owner owes you an explanation.

guessing by the way this setup looks, I would say you set your text inside the markers. just click twice on the markers and change the text in the comment text field and click o.k. if that's not it, there is a shy switch (though it is there probably for a reason so you won't

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should follow the instructions provided with this template if there are any. maybe they are attached as a readable format with the zip file or something. if you paid money for this then the owner owes you an explanation.

guessing by the way this setup looks, I would say you set your text inside the markers. just click twice on the markers and change the text in the comment text field and click o.k. if that's not it, there is a shy switch (though it is there probably for a reason so you won't mess with the template)

and if you click it you will see all the layers and also the text layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. Just to clarify- there are no instructions that came with this. Which is why I asked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to diagnose a problem the first step is to reveal the modified properties of the layer that is giving you problems by pressing the U key twice. If you have a text layer you'll see something like this:

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 2.22.00 AM.png

The biggest problem I see in your screenshot is that there is not a text layer anywhere:

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 1.52.15 AM.png

See the missing "T" icon in your layer? When you end up at this point it's time to look at the flow chart to try and find your text layer.

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 2.26.49 AM.png

Second icon from the right at the bottom of the Composition panel.

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 2.28.42 AM.png

You may have to expand things to see all of the layers. It is easy to find the text layers. They will have a T icon. Just double click it to open the comp with the text layer and edit away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks you for your help. I did find out how to open the layers and there were hidden text layers that were locked. I unlocked them and have been able to edit the text now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for sharing what was it eventually

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I might also point out that the flow chart will reveal all hidden layers and double clicking on any layer will open up the right comp and select the layer even if it is hidden. You won't see the "shy" layer in the timeline but it will be selected and you will be in the right comp. You can edit the layer or move it around without it being visible in the timeline. If you see no selected layer in the timeline it is a big hint that the shy switch has been turned on.

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 3.32.06 AM.png

The flow chart is often my first stop on the way to diagnosing problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I'm with Roei -- when in doubt, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines