• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to design an icon?

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, I have scanned a JPEG drawing (public domain) and want to turn it into an icon for my website. Can I use PS5?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

ok.

1. Double click the Background layer to convert it from a locked layer to a regular layer. It will be Layer0
  2. Activate the Magic wand tool. On the tool's option bar, set tolerance to 16, and untick "Contiguous"
  3. Left click on a white area, then hit delete on the keyboard
  4. Press CTRL+D to get rid of the marching ants.
  5. You should see the drawing surrounded by transparency.
  6. Go to Edit>save for web. In the dialog select PNG24 for the file type, check "Transparency" and check "Constrain Proportions". For hei

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

timd78870136 wrote:

Hi All, I have scanned a JPEG drawing (public domain) and want to turn it into an icon for my website. Can I use PS5?

The short answer is "yes."

You will probably want to remove the background from the drawing, then go to File>Save for web. In that dialog be sure that "Transparency" and "Constrain Proportions" are ticked. I usually make the long side 800 px or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tx, Hatstead. Mine is a thin-lined drawing (not unlike the Olympc rings) and I just need the lines, not the background. The magic selection brush ctrl-W is fooled by the lines. My plan is to isolate line from background (i.e. your approach) and then thicken and smooth these lines. Does this make sense? Rgds. Tim@Amsterdam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

timd78870136 wrote:

Tx, Hatstead. Mine is a thin-lined drawing (not unlike the Olympc rings) and I just need the lines, not the background. The magic selection brush ctrl-W is fooled by the lines. My plan is to isolate line from background (i.e. your approach) and then thicken and smooth these lines. Does this make sense? Rgds. Tim@Amsterdam

Yes, that's the goal.

Is the background a solid color or is it a complex background?

If you are so inclined, post the drawing so that we may offer more targeted guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Black lines on a white background, Hatstead. It is the epitaph of Stevinus, a Flemish scholar (1548 – 1620). Tx, TimIMG selected.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok.

1. Double click the Background layer to convert it from a locked layer to a regular layer. It will be Layer0
  2. Activate the Magic wand tool. On the tool's option bar, set tolerance to 16, and untick "Contiguous"
  3. Left click on a white area, then hit delete on the keyboard
  4. Press CTRL+D to get rid of the marching ants.
  5. You should see the drawing surrounded by transparency.
  6. Go to Edit>save for web. In the dialog select PNG24 for the file type, check "Transparency" and check "Constrain Proportions". For height type in 800 px, leave width field blank.
  7. Note: PNG supports transparency. If you save it as JPEG, you will have a white background again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great help! I did find that edit>save for web, but hidden as "export file>save for web (reference to it being outdated)". It did do the job. Using Photoshop 2015.5 and learned that it required updating too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good luck with your web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines