• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open in Photoshop Command only opens RAW file

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i've had this problem for a while. I'm using the latest CC versions of Lightroom and Photoshop and i have changed my preferences in Lightroom so when i select the "Open in Photoshop" command it should create a stacked tiff and open that file in photoshop. The problem is that Lightroom just seems to ignore this and open the RAW file instead, in my case a Canon .cr2 file. Has anyone else had this issue or know of any fixes for this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

will-3fiftysix wrote:

Thanks but the problem I have is that Lightroom won't actually create the tiff then open it in photoshop. It just opens the raw file and no tiff is created. I've had to create an export action instead which creates a high res tiff, adds it to the catalogue and stacks it with the original image then opens the file in photoshop.

Right LR does not create a TIFF file. It processes the RAW file, just like ACR does, and sends that RAW file to PS. This is the expected behavior. LR s

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save the file after editing in PS it should update the tiff export in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but the problem I have is that Lightroom won't actually create the tiff then open it in photoshop. It just opens the raw file and no tiff is created. I've had to create an export action instead which creates a high res tiff, adds it to the catalogue and stacks it with the original image then opens the file in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work if PS and LR are both open together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, no it's the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which versions of LR & PS are you running and what computer OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2017 CC

Lightroom 2015.7 CC

on Mac Sierra 10.12.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what happens when you have a file open in PS? The CR2 is only referencing the proxy for pixel editing e.g. bypassing the camera raw dialog. Try a simple edit in PS followed by Cmd+S, then Cmd+W. Then go back to LR to check stacking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will-3fiftysix wrote:

Right LR does not create a TIFF file. It processes the RAW file, just like ACR does, and sends that RAW file to PS. This is the expected behavior. LR sends the RAW file to PS and tells PS "When Saving create a TIFF file". Then when you do File Save or Ctrl + S the RAW file in PS turns to a TIFF and it also gets placed into the LR catalog along with whatever other option you have selected.

This is how it has always been and hopefully will continue to be.

TIFF created in PS 1.PNG

Then after I use File Save or Ctrl + S this is what happens.

TIFF created in PS 2.PNG

So what you are seeing is expected and as it should be, IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, though i'm pretty sure it wasn't like this previous to CC as I used to always see the tiff file appear in lightroom before making any adjustments in photoshop, and the file in photoshop would be the tiff one to edit straight away.

Since then i've never edited the raw image and saved as i thought it's been a bug, but testing it now it does indeed create a tiff and stack it as you mentioned, so thanks for clearing this up - it was driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened LR 5 and it is the same. IIRC it has always been this way.

Only using the Export system in LR can you create a TIFF before sending that file to PS.

If you select to Open as a Smart Object then No file extension is present in the PS window. But to actually create a TIFF you have use the Save system in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking though I was convinced that's what happened before as i never recalled working on a raw file in photoshop, cheers Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LR creating a TIF/PSD on the way into PS only happens when the ACR plug-in version isn’t up-to-date compared to LR’s raw processing, so it may have happened differently in the past, only because LR and PS weren’t fully updated to current versions.

Now, since LR and PS/ACR are matched, no intermediate file is produced; however, as has been said, saving out of PS will produce such a file. I’d be curious why creating a TIF file on the way into PS is deemed necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines