Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing photos into (sub)folder shows it in a weird location

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently got a new Macbook Pro and simply copied everything in the Pictures folder on my iMac, which included the Lightroom app, catalog, and folders with photos, to my new Macbook Pro.

When I import photos into either an existing folder or a new folder, let's say the folder Vacations in the parent folder 2016, the new photos will show up in the folder Vacations but not under 2016. Instead, the new folder will be created under the existing file structure. I just made an HDR also, but the new HDR file showed up in a new folder with the same name, but not in the existing folder. This is quite annoying. When I right click on the folder to see it in Finder, it does show it correctly in Finder. It's just the way that Lightroom is showing it that's messed up.

Any suggestions??

Matthijs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen capture of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

In this screenshot you can see how I import pics. I created a subfolder called December Moon inside the parent folder 2016.

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 18.49.17.png

Here, the pics have been imported, but as you can see there's nothing under 2016.

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 18.49.43.png

However, there is a folder called December Moon, just not where I want it... (bottom of the folders list on the left)

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 18.49.48.png

When I right-click on the folder December Moon and click "Show parent folder", the folder all of a sudden is displayed under 2016 (no screenshot). One hour ago, I tried to create an HDR within the folder December Moon and no file was added to this folder, but a new folder (or the same folder?) December Moon showed up in the same place as shown in the above screenshot.

Is it as simple as finding a setting that always shows the folder within the parent folder structure?

Thanks for your help!

Matthijs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have highlighted 2016. Then you would have put December Moon in the "into subfolder" Field. Then the December Moon folder would have been where you wanted it to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, unfortunately that's not correct. I had already made the subfolder December Moon, so I just selected that. If I had instead selected 2016 but checked the box next to Into Subfolder and titled it December Moon, I would've had the exact same result (that's how it started).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK then, figure it out for yourself. Yes, you should have highlighted 2016. Yes, you should have put December Moon in the "into subfolder" field. It works for me every time. That if you want to figure out a different way, that's your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Jim, relax. What I'm saying is, whether I highlight 2016 and create a new subfolder, or if I already created the subfolder and selected it instead of 2016, the result was the same. Don't be butt hurt because you didn't provide the solution, it's not my fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not "butt hurt". You asked how to fix the problem, and I told you how to fix it. It works. It works every time. All I'm saying is if you can find a better way then go for it. I don't know why you are way didn't work. Did you create  the December Moon folder outside of Lightroom first, and then highlight it in Lightroom. Or, did you create the December Moon folder within Lightroom? My experience in the past has been that if you are going to create new folders from within Lightroom then you need to do it the "Lightroom way". It seems that if you try to create the folder in the Lightroom the way you did (if that's how you did it) Lightroom doesn't always see the whole picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do very much appreciate you taking the time to help.

I have been importing pictures like this since I got Lightroom, and it has always worked. Sometimes I add more pictures to an already existing album. So let's say I already had some pictures in December Moon under 2016. If I upload more pictures into the same folder, the folder December Moon will show up like it did in the last screenshot. Let's say there were 10 pictures in December Moon already, and I added 5 more. Lightroom now shows "December Moon 10" under 2016 and "December Moon 5" under the 2016 structure. Although I did realise that if I click on "December Moon 5" and select "Show parent folder" that it sometimes corrects the problem. I also created a new folder 2017 and did what I normally do; i.e., when importing, select 2017, import into a new subfolder "December Moon", and now it did show up the way it was supposed to.

To answer your question, I created the folder December Moon in Lightroom, not in Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that this is the problem, and the solution (which is in reply #4)

Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I always create my subfolders the way I suggested. Then, at least I find, That they are always organized the way I expect them to be. I am then able to add more images to any existing folder without difficulty. Apologize for being so abrupt with my reply to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines