Exit

Book Module Cover Background Issue

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have created a book in LR6.5

I have both front and back cover pages with a photo and text. The front image has a blue sky and so have set the cover background to match the blue sky using the eyedropper. There is no difference between the image and cover backgrounds in LR but when I export book to pdf, the image and cover backgrounds are different shades of blue.

I matched the image and cover background when I first set the cover up but later tweaked the image in the Develop module and then went back and changed the background to match (using the eyedropper).

Has anyone found the same issue and is there a solution?

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Sampling the background color of your image on my monitor I get an RGB Hex number of 799ac8 and for the sky in the photo 8faed3.

Try resetting the background color and in the color picker box choose the word Hex (bottom right) and type in 8faed3

Does that give a better result?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume the background is having some effect on the photo but I don’t know how. If you have photoshop or photoshop elements you could design a double page spread and drop that into the cover place holder, without using a background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the background changes color in the PDF Export, but not the image. I thought it might be due to the PDF being converted to sRGB, but the below image and background are not out of sRGB gamut. Is this what you are seeing?

Acrobrat Pro DC                                Lightroom CC 2017.7 Book Module

Book Module Background Color Changes in PDF.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, your images a showing a similar problem.

This is what i am seeing in LR6.5:

Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 09.17.28.png

This is the output in PDF (and, also, when I send to Blurb):

Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 09.19.30.png

I'm fairly new to LR and this is the first Book i've created so it's possible that i have a setting incorrect.

The book type created was Blurb (not PDF or JPEG). Also, if this helps, I think the background colour in the pdf was the initial background colour when i first created the cover. I subsequently tweaked the image and updated the background colour and this update is not being reflected in the pdf or the output to Blurb. As I'd like the book printed it would be nice to be able to solve the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sampling the background color of your image on my monitor I get an RGB Hex number of 799ac8 and for the sky in the photo 8faed3.

Try resetting the background color and in the color picker box choose the word Hex (bottom right) and type in 8faed3

Does that give a better result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

susan1901 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, your images a showing a similar problem.

I subsequently tweaked the image and updated the background colour and this update is not being reflected in the pdf or the output to Blurb. As I'd like the book printed it would be nice to be able to solve the problem.

Sorry for the late reply. I finally had a chance to investigate this issue further. It appears that the LR Book module treats the Background HSL color picker as sRGB color profile color values, but views it and the placed photos as ProPhoto RGB color profile tagged images.

Unfortunately there is no "simple" workaround to correct this issue. Below is a procedure you can use to confirm that you are seeing the same issue.

1) Select the image file that you want to match a color in the Book module Background and then use Edit in PS to open the image file in PS.

2) Inside PS use 'Convert to Profile' and select sRGB as the new 'Destination Space' and click OK. Next use 'Assign Profile' and select 'ProPhoto RGB' and click OK.

3) Write down the RGB color values of the sky or whatever area's color you are trying to match and go to the below website to convert the values to HSL:

HSL to RGB | RGB to HSL | Colour Calculator | Hex Color Converter

4) Copy the HSL values into the LR Book module's Background Color picker. 'Export Book to PDF' and let me know if the Background now matches the color in the image file.

I'll create a problem report and place the link back here in a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the link to the problem report: Lightroom Book Module Background Color Picker Bug | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Please add your 'Me-To' vote and 'Follow' for updates at the above report in the Photoshop Family forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I have followed the instructions above although I have Elements installed and not Photoshop so have had to Convert to 'ProPhoto RGB' rather than 'Assign Profile'.

I converted the RGB values to HSL values and copied them into the Book modules Background Colour picker and when exported to PDF the image and background colour were a far better match (not quite an exact match but barely noticeable).

I'm happy now to send the book to be printed.

Many thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert to ProPhoto RGB isn't going to provide the correct values.

Looking at my procedure you can eliminate the step 'Assign Profile' 'ProPhoto RGB.'

Follow this revised procedure using PS Elements:

1) Select the image file that you want to match a color in the Book module Background and then use Edit in PS to open the image file in PS.

2) Inside PS use 'Convert to Profile' and select sRGB as the new 'Destination Space' and click OK.

3) Write down the RGB color values of the sky or whatever area's color you are trying to match and go to the below website to convert the values to HSL:

HSL to RGB | RGB to HSL | Colour Calculator | Hex Color Converter

4) Copy the HSL values into the LR Book module's Background Color picker. 'Export Book to PDF' and let me know if the Background now matches the color in the image file.

This should match the exact color in the image file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi.

I followed the instructions above and, in the PDF, the background colour now matches the image. This is the result:

In LR: Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 18.31.35.png in PDF: Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 18.33.47.png

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines