• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Won't Stop RAM Previewing, Crashes In Preferences

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently upgraded my computer (Motherboard and CPU). When I was finished, I opened After Effects CC 2017. I was able to open all my projects just fine, but the problem started when I would preview something. I'd hit space and it would preview the work area but it wouldn't stop. It reached the end of the work area and it started again. It wouldn't play back the preview. Also, every time I try to open Preferences, After Effects crashes. I'm using Windows 10 and my system specs are below. When I was done swapping out my motherboard and CPU, I plugged in just the SSD (C drive) and HDD 1. I have a second Hard Drive which I didn't want to plug in just yet. However, that Hard Drive is the Hard Drive that contains the After Effects cache. Maybe I screwed something up when trying to preview it while the Hard Drive wasn't even connected? I plugged the Hard Drive in and reinstalled After Effects. Didn't help anything.

AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz Processor

Kingston HyperX 2x4 DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

125 GB Samsung SSD

1 TB WD Blue Hard Drive

1 TB Dell Hard Drive

Windows 10

After Effects CC 2017

Also, I've updated all of my drivers. Here is an image that kind of shows what I'm talking about as far as previewing goes:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

and you are on 14.0.1, right ? and make sure your GPU driver is up to date too (just in case) then try this:

rename this

\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\

to this

\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\old Adobe\

and this will force Ae to create all the settings fresh.

more settings that could impact on crashing Ae that have worked in the past are:

1. try to run the software as administrator - (right click->run as administrator)
  2. try disabling firewalls or antivirus/malware scanner and see if that work

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. there has been a bug fix to CC2017 so make sure you are using 14.0.1 and update if you don't

2. reset your preferences (you don't need to access them in order to reset) here's how you do it: Reset After Effects Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell it's up to date. Also, hitting Ctrl Alt Shift won't bring up a dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell it's up to date.

help->about after effects will tell you for sure

Also, hitting Ctrl Alt Shift won't bring up a dialog box.

it takes a certain timing fashion to make this work on windows. but there is another way of doing that and that's deleting the preferences file. when you launch Ae again it will create another. the file is in:

\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\[version]

and it looks like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the prefs did nothing either. The preview still isn't working and it still crashes when I try to enter the Preferences. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and you are on 14.0.1, right ? and make sure your GPU driver is up to date too (just in case) then try this:

rename this

\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\

to this

\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\old Adobe\

and this will force Ae to create all the settings fresh.

more settings that could impact on crashing Ae that have worked in the past are:

1. try to run the software as administrator - (right click->run as administrator)
  2. try disabling firewalls or antivirus/malware scanner and see if that works

and try to re-install again using this tool: Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

other than that, this seems like a serious software failure that's related to your Os and specific hardware-software setup you got there and I would contact support directly and get this figured out through remote desktop with a support agent. start here: Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sooo much! That fixed it. Hopefully I won't have to re-set too much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! just to be clear - the renaming of the adobe to old adobe? (btw - you can delete the old adobe if you want, this was just for backup)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, the renaming worked! Thanks for letting me know, I'll go ahead and delete that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines