• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table cells will not line up horizontally where cells are merged

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large table with many merged vertical cells. When merging them, they do not line up horizontally with the cells to the left or right of them. At most, I am only merging two vertical cells. I've tried everything in the settings, and dragging the cells does not work. I'm beginnig to think that lining them up will not be possible when merging.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

You can set cell height in Table > Cell Options > Rows and Columns. Change the Row Height from At Least to Exactly.

InDesign CCss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What You encounter is normal behavior.

Cell Options > Text > Vertical Justification > Justify Vertically applied to all cells might help in some cases like this:

tablealign.png

but if you want real and robust horizontal alignment, Baseline Grid is your friend...

for what it worth, in this case it would have more cons than pros, imho...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, and it spreads out the type some, but the cells are still not aligned horizontally. Any other ideas? Not sure why this happened only in 3 cases, but it really stands out as a big mistake. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be willing to share a screen shot of the table? Baseline alignment controls vertical alignment, and you are asking for horizontal alignment, so I'm confused. You can use the button shown below to add the screen shot to your reply.

JIVE Add screen shot to reply.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI - Here'sScreen Shot 2016-12-02 at 10.12.33 AM.png a screenshot - you'll see it happening in the middle 3 columns. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hm... these cells itself are of different height (why?), so what do you expect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the green sections that are together. They are different heights and shouldn't be. And it's happening in other places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is exactly what I was asking... Why they are different? It depends on how this table was build and edited. Only you can say this having the 'live thing' before your eyes . And there could be different ways to correct this.

That was your problem, not the text...

Edit: ah, vinny tries telepathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set cell height in Table > Cell Options > Rows and Columns. Change the Row Height from At Least to Exactly.

InDesign CCss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it to work by nudging the numbers. When I put in the exact height of the cell next door whose height I wanted to match, it didn't match -- but by playing around with the number, I got it to visually match. I can live with this, thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bluceycat wrote:

Got it to work by nudging the numbers. When I put in the exact height of the cell next door whose height I wanted to match, it didn't match -- but by playing around with the number, I got it to visually match. I can live with this, thanks for your help!

Hi,

what happened while you are doing the old version of your table is that you added rows while splitting a cell.

Spltting cells always adding rows (or columns).

When doing complex tables where are lot of cells should be merged or later be splitted, I usually start out with a basic grid like that:

ComplexTable-BasicGrid.png

Note the green colored row and column.

I'll keep this construct until the table is finished.

Now, you merge the necessary cells to layout your table and maybe remove a column, but never remove the green colored ones:

ComplexTable-SomeCellsMerged.png

Note, that you can always copy/paste a bunch of cells to an already merged area:

CopySelectTargetPaste-Cells.png

On the other hand you could also copy/paste merged cells:

CopySelectedMergedCellSelectTargetCellPaste.png

That would help you to quickly build a complex table, I think.

The trick is to keep the basic column and the basic row colored green in my example.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another note on my last post:

1. You can do a duplicate of the base grid and work on the duplicate.

2. Before doing the work you could do some base "bricks" so to say by merging some cell areas before and copy/paste them all around in your duplicated table base grid:

PreparingMergedCells.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I bet you first merged cells, then used split cells instead of cancel merging.

Have a look at this:

Sans-titre-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct!!

I just figured this out on my own a few minutes ago, so I'm glad you concur. I will know better next time. Thanks for your help.!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines