• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Storage Management

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to light room and I recently purchased a new computer with windows 10 for an operating system. I have a solid state drive and a conventional hard drive. I have filled my ssd C drive it is 119 GB and I would like to move files to my D drive but light room does not know that the D drive exists. I would like to know how I can move an image into the D drive within light room so light room will know about the D drive and  I can drag and drop files from the C drive To the D drive.

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Here is another step-by-step set of instructions, with screen captures to illustrate, go to the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location"

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend that you copy FOLDERS of images from the SSD drive to the other hard drive. Then, in Lightroom, you right-click  on the folder that you have copied and choose the option to update the folder location. Then you can point to the folder on the other hard drive. Once you have verified that Lightroom has synchronized to the new location, you can delete the folder from the SSD. If you have all of the images organized within one master folder then you can copy that master folder to the other hard drive, right click on the master folder and update the folder location. Everything within that folder will be synchronized at once. Then you can delete all the folders from the SSD. All of the copying would be done with Lightroom closed using File Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am truly new to lightroom and this is a new computer with windows 10 as an operating system, help me understand. when you say copy folders from the ssd to the other drive do you mean outside of lightroom and then inside of lightroom have find it on the D drive. I am not sure how to do this in windows 10. I do not know how to delete a file from lightroom because when I select remove from the library it does not remove pixel data from the hard drive at least that's what I think. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I put the procedure from Jim Hess into numbered steps-

1. Make a note of the SSD Master folder in Lightroom's Folder panel that has all your images. Close Lightroom.

2. Open File Explorer

3. Copy the Master folder that contains ALL your images (with sub-folders) from the SSD to the D:Drive.

You can use "Drag & Drop while holding the Ctrl key- to Copy", or use Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

4. Confirm that all folders and all files (referenced by Lightroom) have copied to the D:Drive. (Use two Explorer windows to look at each for file numbers and folder sizes)

5. Re-open Lightroom  (Do NOT delete anything!!)

6. In the Lr Folder panel- Right-Click the topmost Master folder and choose "Update Folder Location"

7. Use the explorer window that pops up to find the 'new' Master folder on the D:Drive.

8. Highlight the folder and click [Select Folder]

Now Lightroom is looking to the D:Drive for all your images, and if you have copied all the folders in the exact same folder structure, your catalog will look exactly the same but the image folders will show under D:Drive in the Lr Folders panel.

When you are 100% sure the catalog is looking at the images on D:Drive you can use File Explorer to finally delete the folders on the SSD giving you the space you want. (And your images are all backed-up on another external drive first- yes?)

There is nothing to delete or import using Lightroom!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another step-by-step set of instructions, with screen captures to illustrate, go to the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location"

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, these instructions make sense me I will do this and I will mark this as corrected when I have finished

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A good link, thanks dj

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines