• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import project (bad format or not readable)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked on editing for days!

Suddenly, when finally finished editing, computer crashed.

To restart the computer and tried to enter the software problem appeared: Http://prntscr.com/devlg4

Please, I need help!

the promblem in words:

"Unable to import project (bad format or not readable)"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Bad luck I don't know what to suggest other than check the autosave folder.

since CC 12.2 by default Ae saves your project every couple of minutes (the default is 20 unless you changed it - I set mine to 5) and since 13.7 it saves by default when starting the render queue. these are fail safe mechanisms of of course as you should always remember to save your project from time to time. that's why there's the handy increment saving. I had cases where I close to 100 versions in the same folder _1

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bad luck I don't know what to suggest other than check the autosave folder.

since CC 12.2 by default Ae saves your project every couple of minutes (the default is 20 unless you changed it - I set mine to 5) and since 13.7 it saves by default when starting the render queue. these are fail safe mechanisms of of course as you should always remember to save your project from time to time. that's why there's the handy increment saving. I had cases where I close to 100 versions in the same folder _1 _2 _3 ... in addition to auto save!. this is what you learn to do after this stuff happens. and still I can find myself going into a project and forgetting to save for the first time! which will make the failsafe auto-save not work at all because I have to first save the project... but enough about me. how about you? whatever it is, if it's gone - you will make it better next time! and you learned a valuable lesson.

live and learn I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips

I'm really frustrated about it, worked on it so hard ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one last thing:

1. try renaming your file to a regular name (no hyphen) and placing it in the desktop and opening it

2. try importing it to premiere if you have it and see if it opens

3. try creating a new project and to drag and drop the project file to the project panel

if indeed there is not auto-save folder in your project folder and you are sure there isn't any trace of a project file that you placed somewhere, and unless some  then this occurrence will help you in the future to always save your work (hopefully). Ae has become much more stable in recent version in my experience. there use to be a time where it would freeze on me (scrubbing with audio was a nightmare sometimes) and I would open task manager praying to see some movement in the KB processing of memory to see if it's still alive. use auto-save, use increment and save. other then that it's beyedy ha'shem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. When you say "renaming your file to a regular name" you mean without .aep ?

2. i dont have premiere.

3. i try it, the same.

I really appreciate your great help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. When you say "renaming your file to a regular name" you mean without .aep ?

no. we need the aep extension. I meant without the hyphen - save it under the name project.aep and place it in the desktop and see. this is just to rule out that by some weird character problem the project failed to load. long shot though.

BTW you mentioned you "Edited" your video. if you mean you trimmed and cut video to make an edited movie - you will do it much more efficiently in premiere than in Ae.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood. I will try to do it!

Incidentally downloaded premiere How can I importing the file to premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally downloaded premiere How can I importing the file to premiere?

this is just an idea I read in another forum (that did not work). just create a new project in premiere no matter the settings and use file->import or drag your project to the project panel to import the aep file. if it works you will see an import after effect composition dialog box where you can select the composition you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try this, and "This File could not be opened"..

I am very grateful for the help, I guess I should pay all over again .. It will take time but thank you encouraged me

btw, why premire batter than after FX in video editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yuval104 wrote:

why premire batter than after FX in video editing?

Premiere is an editor. It works more efficiently than AE for editing.

AE is for compositing and special effects, usually for short clips of up to 30 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but AE can give me more beautiful video, than Premiere. no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yuval104 wrote:

but AE can give me more beautiful video, than Premiere. no?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's premiere vs after effects in a fun and informative tutorial:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines