• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am so having trouble. File I export as a .jpg is so small it is not usuable. I thought I selected the correct parameters.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.   I am changing a picture, using ID, simple addition of my company name and phone #.  When I export it as a jpg.  The image is so small it is not usable.  If I look at the jpg's properties the file is 14 mb. 

Spencer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

some programs do not recognize the .indd extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may get better results by exporting a PDF file, then opening the PDF in Photoshop and saving as a JPEG file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you export an INDD to JPG? What is the purpose for that file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some programs do not recognize the .indd extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Only InDesign recognises the .indd extension and even that is not forward compatible – I mean, for example, you can't (directly) open an InDesign CC2015 created document with InDesign CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in what way, how do you tell or see, it is too small? Please be exact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I viewed it as a file it was a little speck (large icon)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you choose File > Export > JPEG, the default settings are these. What are you using?

If you have a frame selected and choose "Selection", it will make a small jpeg of the selection. Confirm that is not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should know what he is trying to do as JPG is not a good choce for InDesign content in no way.

If he needs to print, he should use a PDF/X-4, if he needs it for further use in Photoshop, PDF/X-4 would also be the best and from there to export to PNG.

Some people use JPGs for thumbnails in book catalgues, but this is not a good idear neater, as PDF/X-4 would serve here much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks..................problem resolved, had to have been a corruption somewhere.  Tried PDF etc.  I finally picked another picture and did what I had to do to it and it worked.

Case closed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines