• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Desktop Lightroom 6.7 - Sort by "Capture Date" bug

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded and installed Lightroom 6.7 on a new Windows 10 laptop this week, moved all photos from two different machines to a single RAID 1 network attached storage drive, and imported all my previous Lightroom catalogs into a single new catalog file (created by LR6.7 this week).

In looking at the photo Library in Grid View, sorted by Capture Time, a number of photos are not in order. A bunch of photos with capture dates (from Metadata / Edit Capture Time...) in the late 1800s are shown AFTER a bunch with a capture dates in 2005, but many other photos with Capture Dates in this century appear after the 1800s ones. Go figure.

I have tried:- reversing the sort order (the photos reverse nicely, but the same capture time sort order error occurs)

- sorting by file name, then sorting by Capture Time (returns to 1872 being "after" 2005)
- optimizing the catalog

The only thing that seems to work is:

- using Metadata / Edit Capture Time... to "change" the Capture Time (without touching the date or time), then changing the sort order twice ( from A=>Z, to Z=>A, and back). This does seem to fix the sort order for the photos with "changed" Capture Times.

However I now do not trust the Sort By Capture time setting, and don't dare change capture times for groups of photos that span multiple dates for fear of setting them all to the same date.

Any help that can be provided will be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

don't dare change capture times for groups of photos that span multiple dates for fear of setting them all to the same date.

You shouldn't worry about this -- the Edit Capture Time command, when applied to a multiple selection, has always behaved as described in its window:

There have never been any verified reports of it behaving incorrectly.   (I use it constantly to manage tens of thousands of scans and have monitored LR's metadata issues for six years.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can you tell us about these photos with capture dates in the 1800s?

How were those dates set?

What date fields in the EXIF data contain what values?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dates in the 1800 were set manually using Metadata / Edit Capture Time..., as the images were created by taking a photograph of a print with that date.

The EXIF data shows:

Date Time Original: 6/15/1872 9:35:33 am

Date Time Digitized: 9/28/2014 9:35:33 am

Date Time: 9/28/2014 9:35:33 am

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Have all my files numbered correctly but when I import they come in out of order.

When I tried to move them I get a message this version does not support this????

Help!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post sounds as though you are sorting by file name, not capture date. Is this the case?

What are you doing to try to "move them"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that seems to work is: using Metadata / Edit Capture Time... to "change" the Capture Time (without touching the date or time), then changing the sort order twice ( from A=>Z, to Z=>A, and back). This does seem to fix the sort order for the photos with "changed" Capture Times.

Most likely, you had photos that didn't actually have capture times recorded in their metadata.  In such circumstances, LR gets very confused, trying to use the file's last-modified-time as a stand-in, but doing it inconsistently.  See this bug report (many years old): Lightroom: Still inconsistent capture date/time for photos and videos | Photoshop Family Customer Co... .  

The workaround is just as you described: Select all the affected photos, do Metadata > Edit Capture Time, and click Change All.  That will set all the photos to have the capture time that's displayed under their thumbnails in grid view.

Perhaps the 2005 photos were scans or from very old digital cameras to which you didn't apply Edit Capture Time? If you have more such photos that aren't sorting properly, upload one to Dropbox, post the link here, and we can put it under the microscope to see if it has a capture time, and if so, why LR isn't reading it.

changing the sort order twice ( from A=>Z, to Z=>A, and back).

This is another Edit Capture Time bug, introduced in LR CC 2015.7: Lightroom: Sort by capture time doesn't always work on 2015.7 / 6.7 | Photoshop Family Customer Comm... . At least Adobe has acknowledged this one, and it appears to be a simple user-interface glitch, so perhaps it will get fixed soon, before the next ice age.  (One can always hope.)

Please add your me-too votes and details of your situation to both bug reports, making it a little more likely Adobe might fix them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Figured it out.

Thank you,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gwfyarm,

Lightroom 2015.8 update is now available, please update.

refer: Lightroom CC 2015.8 now available​

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  I have just installed the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't dare change capture times for groups of photos that span multiple dates for fear of setting them all to the same date.

You shouldn't worry about this -- the Edit Capture Time command, when applied to a multiple selection, has always behaved as described in its window:

There have never been any verified reports of it behaving incorrectly.   (I use it constantly to manage tens of thousands of scans and have monitored LR's metadata issues for six years.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reassurance!  The description alone did not give me confidence, as I originally read it to mean all photos would be set to the same time... not be "adjusted by the same amount of time" as it says.

So, if I am adjusting the first photo by 0 seconds, then all photos will be adjusted by 0 seconds.

I tested this with a short run of photos that I could "fix" if necessary, and it did indeed behave as you said. So, I screwed up my courage, and
- hit Ctrl-A to select all
- selected Edit Capture Time...
- clicked the Change button

- resorted to ensure things were sorted according to the (hopefully now recorded properly) capture times

So far, things now seem to be in the proper order.

Thank you one and all for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines